Clear All
  • wreckwriter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • South Florida
    • BT3100-1

wooden table inserts

Hi guys,

I read in various places about folks making wooden table sections for the bt3k, either to make space for routers (which I may need) or to fill space for wide table kits. How are you attaching these pieces to the rails?

Thanks as always for sharing your hard earned wisdom.

Tom
    http://www.wreckwriter.com/
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

usually, Adjustable height angle brackets, attached to the T-slots in the inside of the rails.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

My solution is unique, I guess. I've made plywood brackets that fit into the rear rail and onto the front rail, much as the standard extension table does. The beauty is that I can remove and replace my extensions without fiddling with adjustments. Also, there is no possibility of a bolt loosening and causing the table to fall under pressure during use, like some of the other designs I've seen.

Thanks,
      Phil
      Attached Files

Comment

• wreckwriter
        Established Member
        • Mar 2006
        • South Florida
        • BT3100-1

Cool. Adjustable angle brackets? Can those be had locally?

Phil, that's nice. Are the wooden blocks attached with t-nuts and regular bolts?

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by wreckwriter
          Phil, that's nice. Are the wooden blocks attached with t-nuts and regular bolts?
          Yep, three t-nuts on the front rail. The rear rail doesn't need any, as the profile for the rear rail is just a 3/4" thick piece of plywood reduced to approx. .25" that slides into the rear rail the same way the Ryobi extension table does. Works perfectly.

Thanks!
          Phil

Comment

• wreckwriter
            Established Member
            • Mar 2006
            • South Florida
            • BT3100-1

t-nut sizes

Guys, help me out a little with t-nuts. On Jeff's site they're referenced as small, medium, large, and XL. I'd like to get a batch for things I'll make like accessory tables, outfeed tables, etc. Which sizes should I get for attaching things to the rails? Pretty sure I don't need large and XL but not positive. Should I get mostly smalls?

I'm not home now so can't look at the saw. Thanks again!

Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by wreckwriter
              Guys, help me out a little with t-nuts. On Jeff's site they're referenced as small, medium, large, and XL. I'd like to get a batch for things I'll make like accessory tables, outfeed tables, etc. Which sizes should I get for attaching things to the rails? Pretty sure I don't need large and XL but not positive. Should I get mostly smalls?

I'm not home now so can't look at the saw. Thanks again!

Tom
              He tells you what slots they fit on the BT3x saws. You have to figureout which are useful to you. If you want to make wide table supports then the ones that fit the inside of the front and back rails are the ones. Like these:

http://t-nuts.com/product_info.php/c...roducts_id/178
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-17-2006, 10:51 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RmeDad
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Scottsdale, AZ
                • BT3100-1

Jeff now as "newbie kits". Assortments of what he thinks is the right combination. Take a look.
                Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"

Comment

• wreckwriter
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • South Florida
                  • BT3100-1

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  He tells you what slots they fit on the BT3x saws. You have to figureout which are useful to you. If you want to make wide table supports then the ones that fit the inside of the front and back rails are the ones.
                  So he does but you don't see that info until you click an additional link. I hadn't noticed it before. Thanks.

Comment

• mschrank
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Hood River, OR, USA.
                    • BT3000

Jeff used to have one page where he listed all the nuts and what they fit, but I can't find it anymore. It was handy.....
                    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• wreckwriter
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • South Florida
                      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by mschrank
                      Jeff used to have one page where he listed all the nuts and what they fit, but I can't find it anymore. It was handy.....
                      The link to it isn't very obvious. Its here: http://t-nuts.com/prod.shtml

Now if I can just find those adjustable length angle brackets that Loring mentioned....

Comment

• Jeff
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Beaumont, CA, USA.
                        • BT6000

Tom found the right link. It is the old page from the old site which did a one-page description of what-went-where.
                        Of the T-Nuts, the LG and XL are the most commonly used.
                        Jeff in Beaumont, the OLD T-Nuts guy

Chromosomes: Monkeys, 44. Humans, 46. Sweet potato, 48. Przewalski's Horse, 66. Forest fern, 144.
                        Evolution? Yeah right.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • Twin Cities, MN
                          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Tom,

Thanks for asking a very timely question. I'm just putting the last coat of poly on the router table insert for my new BT3 Mobile Base. I've been meaning to check out Jeff's .... (oh, will this joke ever get old? ) ... website (psych!) for some time. So, I just placed an order for t-bolts to attach angle aluminum to the insides of the front and back rails. (Well, couldn't pass up a few extra goodies, too. )

Regards,
                          Tom

Comment

• Jeff
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Beaumont, CA, USA.
                            • BT6000

Originally posted by RmeDad
                            Jeff now as "newbie kits". Assortments of what he thinks is the right combination. Take a look.
                            Just FYI, the "kits" that I have on the site are pending modification. Those ones were created as a kind of "sample set" of just about everything, but are a pricing and attribute nightmare (that's speaking to the way the software works).
                            I will be modifying the kit section as time allows, making it more "user friendly" and less "sample oriented".

Chromosomes: Monkeys, 44. Humans, 46. Sweet potato, 48. Przewalski's Horse, 66. Forest fern, 144.
                            Evolution? Yeah right.

Comment

• Jeff
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Beaumont, CA, USA.
                              • BT6000

Originally posted by Tom Miller
                              Tom,

Thanks for asking a very timely question. I'm just putting the last coat of poly on the router table insert for my new BT3 Mobile Base. I've been meaning to check out Jeff's .... (oh, will this joke ever get old? ) ... website (psych!) for some time. So, I just placed an order for t-bolts to attach angle aluminum to the insides of the front and back rails. (Well, couldn't pass up a few extra goodies, too. )

Regards,
                              Tom
                              I don't think the jokes will ever end. At least not until I stop making my nuts available to the public.

Evolution? Yeah right.

Comment

Working...