X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bud
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Routers

Which router is most recommended to use with the 3100?

Bud
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

The one you buy!

Seriously, you will get almost as many answers to this as there are routers on the market. Personally, I have an older Craftsman mounted in mine, but I have a Hitachi M12V in a stand-alone router table. IMO, that would be too heavy to leave in the BT table. The most popular is probably one of the PC models.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

discussion of this question in the BT3 FAQ.
      permanent link in the first thread under "Getting Started"
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        discussion of this question in the BT3 FAQ.
        permanent link in the first thread under "Getting Started"
        Since the forum has changed software, I don't think that is valid any longer.
        The faq link, brings up a search engine, and a vbulletin faq. Searching with the engine, showed nothing with getting started, and didn't see it under the articles section. We do need to remember to check our links for a while (told a friend to check this site out) as new members could and can get confused.

Thanks
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• scorrpio
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

It really depends on who you ask for recommendation. Ryobi, for example, recommends Ryobi routers. Sears recommends Craftsman. I asked in tool department at Home Depot, the guy looked over their router display and told me Ryobi, PorterCable, Dewalt and Bosch will all work well, but Dewalt will definitely be the best (it had the top price)
          Hitachi website has some advice, and they seem to consider Hitachi routers as best fitting a BT3.

Asking here.... Each of us will think of a router we reach for the most often, and recommend that...

Comment

• jhart
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

I use an old fixed base Craftsman, which I just leave mounted all the time. Keep a bit in it so as to not collect dust in the insert
            Joe
            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• monte
              Forum Windbag
              • Dec 2002
              • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
              • GI 50-185M

Although the router mounting plate is already drilled to accept a Ryobi router you can redrill it to fit any router of your choice. I prefer either Bosch or Porter Cable routers. Dewalt and Hitachi are also excellent choices.
              Just my .02 worth. HTH
              Monte (another darksider)
              Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• wreckwriter
                Established Member
                • Mar 2006
                • South Florida
                • BT3100-1

OK, any brand but what about type? Fixed base or plunge? Sorry, I know basically nothing about routers but since I now have a mount I'm thinking I might pick one up.
                http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Bud and Wreck,

For someone buying a first router, one of the two-base, circa 2HP "PK" kits is the place to start. Most of the major manufacturers offer these kits, which consists of the router motor plus two interchangeable bases: one fixed, one plunge. The fixed base goes into the router table and the plunge base is used for handheld work.

There are two reasons for this. The first is that while both type bases have their advantages and disadvantages for in-table use, overall the fixed base is best. The other is that for handheld work, the plunge base will do everything the fixed base will, and then some.

(BTW you will also see D-handle bases. If you can get a good deal on a three-base kit, the D-handle is an okay alternative to a fixed base for table use, but they should be avoided for handheld use. D-handles give a lot of router newbies the illusion of greater control but in fact they offer less control and precision than a conventional handheld base.)

These two-base (or three-base) kits are available with both single-speed and variable-speed router motors. Again, for someone buying a first router, variable-speed is the only way to go since this feature is a virtual necessity for using large bits in the table and can sometimes be useful for hand work.

Bosch, DeWalt, Hitachi, Makita, and Porter-Cable all have at least one two-base kit in their product line. Features and ergonomics vary but they are all roughly comparable. The best approach is to get your hands on as many of them as you can and see which one you like best, for whatever reason. But they're all good, so if you buy on the basis of best price you won't go too far wrong. Right now the Porter-Cable 694 kit is especially attractive: it sells for about $199, with a $30 mail-in rebate that reduces the final price to $169 (and I think someone said Lowe's MAY also have an additional $30 rebate of their own ... if so, a final price of $139 on this very fine router would be a certified STEAL!).

To start your journet into routerdom, invest in a copy of "Woodworking With The Router" by Bill Hylton and Fred Matlack. This is a terrific book that will not only help you now, while you're shopping for your first router (it won't be your last, believe me), but will also teach you safe and proper techniques, advise you on building a bit collection, and more. This is a title you will refer to often in the years to come.
                  Last edited by LarryG; 03-08-2006, 09:40 AM.
                  Larry

Comment

• wreckwriter
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • South Florida
                    • BT3100-1

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the detailed answer! The PC looks great and good price too. I assume it will fit the 3100 router mounting kit also?

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by wreckwriter
                      The PC looks great and good price too. I assume it will fit the 3100 router mounting kit also?
                      As monte (and maybe others) note, you'll have to drill some holes in the plate, as only Ryobi and (most) Craftsman models will bolt straight on. Drilling these holes is not a big deal, though. The procedure is to remove the plastic subbase from the router and use it as a template to locate the new holes in the aluminum mounting plate. Centerpunch the holes, drill them, countersink them, and yer done.

The router needs to be reasonably centered on the plate -- say within a 1/16" or so -- but since the bit spins in the horizontal plane the exact placement is not critical. Thus doing the job with a drill press is best but if you don't have one, a handheld drill will work just fine.
                      Last edited by LarryG; 03-08-2006, 11:23 AM.
                      Larry

Comment

• wreckwriter
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • South Florida
                        • BT3100-1

Thanks again Larry.

Comment

• Bud
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006

Thanks for the input guys. Time to spend money.

Bud

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                            Since the forum has changed software, I don't think that is valid any longer.
                            The faq link, brings up a search engine, and a vbulletin faq. Searching with the engine, showed nothing with getting started, and didn't see it under the articles section. We do need to remember to check our links for a while (told a friend to check this site out) as new members could and can get confused.

Thanks
                            Do NOT go to the Forum FAQ Link, that is the FAQ on the VBulletin forum software that you describe.

Do as I suggested: Go to BT3Central->Discussions->Getting Started

Look in the first thread (which is titled something like "Click for Ans to Frequently asked Questions/Acronyms") and is currently right above this one (until this thread gets old) and you will find the link to my FAQ.

I'm sure it's valid! It has almost 7500 reads.

If you like the FAQ, add to my reputation! (click the scales icon at the top of the post)

Its still there and I check it periodically to make sure it works.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-08-2006, 03:43 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• wreckwriter
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • South Florida
                              • BT3100-1

router bits

Regarding router bits, the PC 694 router, and others too I'm sure, uses 1/4 and 1/2" bits with a 3/8 collet available for extra $. I presume one would want to use the larger bit for heavier work, maybe harder wood too. If one were to want to get a starter bit set would it generally be better to go with 1/4 or 1/2?

Any recommendations on bit sets for a guy just getting started?

Thanks, as always!

Comment

Working...