• Show
Clear All
  • DJB
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Concord, MA
    • BT3100-1

Biscuit Cutter Alternatives?

Is it possible to use the table saw blade or a router to make the grooves for biscuits? I'd like to have a solid way of joining boards for a table top without buying a biscuit cutter.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Howard
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Plano, Tx.
    • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

I have seen some router accessories that will cut biscuit joints. Woodcraft, I believe, had them.
    Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
    - Mark Twain

Comment

• venkatbo
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Cupertino, CA, USA.

I think you can use a router/bit something like this:

More at:

Comment

• RayintheUK
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Biscuit jointers use a 100mm (4") diameter blade, then use varying arcs of the circumference to cut the three common sizes of biscuit ("0", "10" and "20"), so using a table saw blade for biscuit slots is not feasible, plus biscuits are made for a 4mm slot, whereas most common table saw kerfs are 3mm.

Router bits are available that will cut biscuit slots, but are far from ideal when compared to a dedicated machine. Router bits that produce other types of glue joints (parallel or tapered) are also available, but tend to be quite expensive.

You could produce tongue and groove joints with either a table-mounted router and a T & G bit, or a tablesaw and an accurate dado set.

Ray.
        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Lee4847
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Canton, Oh
          • BT3100

Cabinet face frame biscuts

I use a slot cutter (2 inch) in my router table to cut face frame biscuits. The size is FF ( for face frame). Placing the face down on the router table and cutting the slots makes a very even fit on the face. Just a little sanding and they are good to go.

Lee
          Cut twice.... measure??

Comment

• RodKirby
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Checkout Woodhaven.com

for biscuits and router bits - IMHO better shaped biscuits than "the usual"
            Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Larry David
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2006
              • Maryland.

I'm new to this but, in my humble and novice opinion, if you find that you are going to be using biscuit joints on future projects you might want to buy an inexpensive biscuit joiner. I have the Ryobi model and it was only $99. Sears has the Craftsman version of the same thing which seems to go on sale once in a while for $89 from $99. My Ryobi gets the job done nicely and didn't break the bank. I checked out the GMC biscuit joiner at Lowes but the fence fell apart in my hands. It was on closeout for $74. I think that there are some forum members that like the GMC though. Just my .02

Comment

• monte
                Forum Windbag
                • Dec 2002
                • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                • GI 50-185M

Check out this thread for an inexpensive plate joiner. The O'Malley has gotten some good reviews.
                This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!
                Monte (another darksider)
                Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• scoter99
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Summerville, SC
                  • BT-3100

I've seen in a magazine where you can use a dado blade to cut a slot in the edge of the boards and then cut a thin "spline" the width of the groove to join the boards along their entire length. I have to admit that i've never done this before but it shouldn't be too hard and you don't need any specialized equipment, assuming you have a dado set that is.

measure once...cut a whole bunch of times!
                  Measure once...cut a whole bunch of times!

I'm with the govt, we're here to help.

Comment

• zootroy
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

"I'd like to have a solid way of joining boards for a table top without buying a biscuit cutter" -DJB

Glue alone is solid. I believe the real advantage to biscuits is in alignment over strength.

Before I looked to alternative methods for biscuits, I would just do a straight glue up with cauls for alignment.

You may want to check to see if you have anyone close by with a drum sander.
                    I have a local milling co. that will drum sand for $15.00 per half hour. Takes care of alignment issues pretty quickly.

BTW, couldn't find the old quote function. I'll have to look it up.

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by zootroy
                      BTW, couldn't find the old quote function. I'll have to look it up.
                      Try that big red QUOTE button at the lower right of the msg you want to quote.
                      Larry

Comment

• Tom Miller
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Once I decided I had no other purpose for a biscuit joiner, I bought a slot cutter bit set for my table-mounted router for the very purpose of alignment during panel glue up. I think it works very well for this, and is very easy to do.

Regards,
                        Tom

Comment

• kyle.w
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • paw paw, mi, USA.
                          • GI 50-185M

i would go with a plate joiner instead of a router bit

Comment

• DJB
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Feb 2006
                            • Concord, MA
                            • BT3100-1

It sounds like if I have confidence in my aligning, then I should just clamp (using cauls) and glue.

If I don't have confidence in my ability to align the pieces (my concern, as some have guessed), then my options seem to be:
                            - suck it up and buy a biscuit cutter
                            - use a router slot cutter and make my own "biscuits" to fit
                            - use a table saw dado blade and make my own "biscuits" to fit

I know that doweling is another way to go, but I have even less confidence in my ability to get those holes straight and aligned in the boards that would make a table top.

I appreciate the tip about investigating commercial drum sanding.

Thanks for all the help!

Dave

Comment

• Tom Miller
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2003
                              • Twin Cities, MN
                              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by DJB
                              - use a router slot cutter and make my own "biscuits" to fit
                              Actually, you use normal, off-the-shelf biscuits. The biscuit slot cutters are made specifically for this size (5/32"?).
                              Originally posted by DJB
                              I know that doweling is another way to go, but I have even less confidence in my ability to get those holes straight and aligned in the boards that would make a table top.
                              Yeah, dowels are not nearly as easy to use for aligning -- not sure anyone would do this.

Regards,
                              Tom

Comment

Working...