Bosch router, should I mount flat base or

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • svadas

    #1

    Bosch router, should I mount flat base or

    I am getting ready to mount my new Bosch router ( read my first router ever) to the table. Should I mount the flat base or would I be smarter to buy the special undertable mounting base they sell for $40. I guess I am worried I'll need to use the flat base off the table at some point instead of just the pluge. It is the 1617 combo kit. It may be a dumb question, but this is my first router.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • 6693
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

    #2
    By "flat" base I assume you mean the fixed base.

    I suggest you mount the fixed base and use the plunge base for all your freehand work since the plunger will do everything the fixed base will, and more. The only (slight) disadvantage is that the plunge base will make the overall package a little heavier, a little more cumbersome. If you find that to be a problem, THEN maybe buy the extra base for the table.
    Larry

    Comment

    • scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 1566
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

      #3
      I understand it is a bit late to give that advice, but I would opt for Dewalt 618B3 package instead.

      Anycase, go ahead and mount the fixed base to table. The plunge base, locked in down position, works just like a fixed base. However, I'd keep that undertable base on the wishlist (Xmas is coming, I am sure some people out there would love a little hint on what to present you with). It has some very nice features like above-table height adjuster and router fall prevention mechanisms.

      Comment

      • monte
        ***** Windbag
        • Dec 2002
        • 5242
        • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
        • GI 50-185M

        #4
        I'd mount the fixed base in the table and keep the plunge base for freehand work.
        Monte (another darksider)
        Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

        http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

        Comment

        • MBG
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2003
          • 945
          • Chicago, Illinois.
          • Craftsman 21829

          #5
          I have the same kit. I would mount the fixed base and see how often you need to use it w/o the table. I bought an additional base but at the time my friend worked for Bosch so it was a no brainer for $15.

          Mike

          Comment

          • LCHIEN
            Super Moderator
            • Dec 2002
            • 22085
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

            #6
            quote:Originally posted by MBG

            I have the same kit. I would mount the fixed base and see how often you need to use it w/o the table. I bought an additional base but at the time my friend worked for Bosch so it was a no brainer for $15.

            Mike
            I'd do as mike suggested.
            If you want to use the fixed base it only takes three screws to get it loose.
            And then if you really like having the fixed base out and the dismount is too much trouble, buy the table mouint abse, it's identical but for
            lacking the wood handles and it also may have a socket for a T-handle allen wrench for above table adjustment.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

            Comment

            Working...