• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam4msu
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • tallahassee, florida.

clamps

I need some large(over 36" clamps and saw the pipe clamps on sale at Harbor Freight. I can't afford the besseys right now. Are pipe clamps a suitable substitute to begin with?

thanks
    sam
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

The Bessy's are on sale at rockler right now, 40% off, and the starter kit will be on sale for 95$ on black friday. That's 4 clamps.

As for pipe clamps, I use them, they work great.

Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• monte
      Forum Windbag
      • Dec 2002
      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
      • GI 50-185M

Pipe clamps are a cheap alternative to more expensive clamps and you can make them any length you want. The HF pipe clamps work very well.
      Monte (another darksider)
      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

There are 2 types of 3/4" pipe clamps at HF. One has a spring loaded lever on the adjustable jaw that grips the pipe. The other has several plates in the jaw that the pipe fits thru. You want the latter, they grip and hold position much better.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

I use pipe clamps on anything over 48". They work great.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• sam4msu
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2005
            • tallahassee, florida.

thanks for the great info

Comment

• lrogers
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Mobile, AL. USA.
              • BT3000

One nice advantage of pipe clamps is that if get your pipe threaded at both ends, a cheap coupling turns 2 36" into a 72" clamp for those extra size glue ups.
              I have 4 in the shop, 2-30" (1/2" pipe) and 2-60" (3/4" pipe). I don't use thwm as often as the lighter quick clamps, but they are used often enough to be worth having.
              Larry R. Rogers
              The Samurai Wood Butcher
              http://splash54.multiply.com
              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Ronak Shah
                Forum Newbie
                • Sep 2005
                • Beaverton, OR.

The Rockler pipe clamps are on sale - buy 3 @ $15 each & get one free. In addition, they let me use my $15 off $50 coupon. Nice of them.

Does everyone use the black pipe? Any good sources on non-marking zinc, other than the ones at Rockler?

Larry, good idea on the couplers - I hadn't thought of that.

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Ronak, are you talking about the Rockler Sure-Foot clamps? And is the price you quoted from a retail store? The Rockler web site shows these on sale for $10.99 ea (reg $14.99), which works out to about the same deal you quote.

I have some of these clamps, and they're sweet; I'm going to get some more. BTW, Grizzly sells a knock-off (interestingly, the castings bear the "Pittsburgh" name, of Harbor Freight fame) but they're of Chinese origin and not nearly as well-made as the Rocklers, which come from Taiwan.

For those just starting a pipe clamp collection, when you get your pipe cut remember that you'll lose 4" to 6" of gross pipe length to the clamp hardware and jaw pads, if you use them (I screwed a small square of cork-faced MDF to the jaws of all my pipe clamps).
                  Larry

Comment

• vaking
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I would think that aluminum bar clamps are superior to pipe clamps. They are not as cheap but they are not as expensive as Besseys either. Here are some at HF.
                    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38183
                    Penn State is another good source of bar clamps.
                    Alex V

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by vaking

I would think that aluminum bar clamps are superior to pipe clamps. They are not as cheap but they are not as expensive as Besseys either. Here are some at HF.
                      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38183
                      Penn State is another good source of bar clamps.
                      Well, all tools have their pluses and minuses.
                      For the pipe clamps, the plusses are:
                      Easily changeable length
                      Cheap in really large sizes compared to other clamps

The minuses are:
                      Pretty heavy for the length
                      not as stiff as the square/rectgaular cross section aluminum clamps - they'll bend over the longer sizes

BTW they come in 1/2" and 3/4" pipe sizes, I've heard that
                      the 3/4" sizes are much more desirable from the standpoint of the sizes you want to use e.g. 4' and up, the 1/2" will bend too much.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• monte
                        Forum Windbag
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                        • GI 50-185M

Check out the following link. 3/4" for $3.49

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=31255

Monte (another darksider)
                        Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Ronak Shah
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2005
                          • Beaverton, OR.

Wow, monte - the rockler ones can't compare with $3.49 each!

Larry, yes, I got this deal at the Rockler store. You can see the buy 3 get 1 free advert in the sale flyer. I don't know exactly why they let me use my coupon, but I'm not complaining.

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

I have 4 three foot, and 4 four foot pipe clamps on 1/2 inch zinc plated pipe and 2 four foot and 2 six foot pipe clamps on 3/4 black pipe. The shorter 1/2 inch pipe clamps screw together but they bend when you go long with them. 3/4 pipe is definitely better over 4 feet. My 3/4 pipe also screws togther and I've gone as long as 12 feet successfully with them (although they flexed some at the joint but I was able to get enough pressure ). The fixed jaw also requires a swat of the hammer on my 1/2 inch pipe clamps either due to the zinc plating or the design of the jaw (it is the toothed pivoting design, I agree the multi-plate design is better). I would go with the cheaper black pipe if I was starting over.

As far as bending goes, I am not sure Loring is up to his usual standards but his memory may be better than mine. I seem to remember a test in FWW where pipe clamps were stiffer than all except rectangular steel clamps - stiffer than aluminum bar clamps. I will have to dig that issue out of the pile to see if my memory is working this time or not.

If you use 3/4 pipe for the longer ones, my experience is pipe clamps are stiff enough. They are not very elegant but they work just fine. My last several purchases have been HF and they work well, I see no reason to pay more for a "better" brand (although the feet on the Rocklers look nice).

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by JimD

I have 4 three foot, and 4 four foot pipe clamps on 1/2 inch zinc plated pipe and 2 four foot and 2 six foot pipe clamps on 3/4 black pipe. The shorter 1/2 inch pipe clamps screw together but they bend when you go long with them. 3/4 pipe is definitely better over 4 feet. My 3/4 pipe also screws togther and I've gone as long as 12 feet successfully with them (although they flexed some at the joint but I was able to get enough pressure ). The fixed jaw also requires a swat of the hammer on my 1/2 inch pipe clamps either due to the zinc plating or the design of the jaw (it is the toothed pivoting design, I agree the multi-plate design is better). I would go with the cheaper black pipe if I was starting over.

As far as bending goes, I am not sure Loring is up to his usual standards but his memory may be better than mine. I seem to remember a test in FWW where pipe clamps were stiffer than all except rectangular steel clamps - stiffer than aluminum bar clamps. I will have to dig that issue out of the pile to see if my memory is working this time or not.

If you use 3/4 pipe for the longer ones, my experience is pipe clamps are stiff enough. They are not very elegant but they work just fine. My last several purchases have been HF and they work well, I see no reason to pay more for a "better" brand (although the feet on the Rocklers look nice).

Jim
                              I'll confess to not having much experience at all with pipe clmaps. I've seen the 1/2"-ers bend with over 4' as Jim says,
                              I have heard that the 3/4"-ers bend significantly when you get to the longer lengths, I'm assuming 6-7 ft or so. And by bending I mean enough that the jaws become significantly non-parallel and the bent pipe beam has bowed so far that the pipe passes through the imaginary line from the center of the two pads of the clamp.

This means that the edges of the pads may start digging dents into the workpiece and that the beam will be striking the side of most straight-walled items.

I own at least a pair or two of the 3/4" variety but have not been forced to try them on any assemblies I've made that my other clamps can't handle.

If Jim says they'll work then either they don't bend as badly as I have come to believe or else he uses them in a way that it doesn't pose a problem. In that case, they'll probably work for you, too.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...