How thick should I make my router table?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickT
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003

How thick should I make my router table?

I'm finally getting around to making my router table. I'm planning to mount it between the front and back rails in place of the accessory table. I ordered a router plate from Woodpeckers (great place!) and some other stuff from Woodhaven (another great place!) for my Porter-Cable 890 router. The plate is 3/8" thick. I ordered a sheet of white laminate from Menards and plan to stick it to one side of MDF. My question is: What thickness MDF should I use? I can find 3/4" at Menards and the BORG, but I could also pickup 1" or 1 1/8" MDF from a local sheet-good supplier: Alpine Plywood. Would 3/4" be thick enough? Routing out 3/8" would leave 3/8" rabbet to support the router plate with my PC 890 attached. Is that enough material to hold it? I don't want to watch helplessly as my router falls to the floor.[:0] Also, 1" MDF would provide more mass and cut down on possible vibration. But it's also heavier, and I don't want to add more weight my BT3 rails than necessary.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rick
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Once upon a time I used 3/4" particle board faced both sides with melemine. It held up just fine for about two years with a router that is heavier than a PC 690. If it were me I'd use 3/4" MDF and then add 1"x4" supports glued and screwed to the underside where you are cutting your hole for the router. That should stiffen the MDF enough to last for years.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I made mine by the NYW plans which called for 3/4" and 1/2" MDF glued together.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Otter
        • Nov 2003
        • Cumming, GA, USA.
        • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

Just my opinion but here is what I did. YMMV, but it will never warp.

http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...chTerms=router
        All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

For a smallish BT "wing" table, I'd use two layers of 3/4" baltic birch plywood, sandwiched together with their crowns facing opposite ways. Lighter and stiffer than MDF, the opposed crowns will keep it flat, and no substructure required.
          Larry

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

I'd use two layers of 3/4" baltic birch plywood
            That's what I did -- and it's working well. It rests on some aluminum angle that's bolted to the inside of the rails.

I wouldn't worry about the weight of 2 layers of anything -- it'll help dampen vibrations. Another benefit to a thicker top is that you'll be able to route in some t-track later for add-ons.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Most plans seem to call for a lamination of 2 pieces of MDF amounting to 1.25 to 1.5" thick.

It would seem that a brace of 1x2 boards half notched where they cross would make the bottom as stiff without as much weight, but
              as someone pointed out, running a dado for a T-track or miter track will make the top mighty thin in places if its just 3/4" thick.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pilotlight
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2004
                • IN, USA.

I am building mine similar to the NYW plans but used 2 pieces of 3/4 MDF. We'll see!

Jamie

Comment

• RickT
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2003

Thanks so much for the excellent input. I forgot to mention that I am planning to run T-track for fixtures, etc. I was thinking that 3/4" was a bit thin, but I was also concerned about putting a lot of weight in the "wing" of my BT3. The table will end up being about the same size as the portable Bench Dog router table, which isn't very big. I even purchased their fence because it fits perfectly. I'll let you know how it turns out.
                  Thanks again,
                  Rick

Comment

• messmaker
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2004
                    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                    • Ridgid 2424

I'm just thinking but two pieces of MDF and a 12-15lb router seems like a lot of weight on the side of a BT3.
                    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Anthony
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Brooklyn, NY, USA.

I made a 24 x 24 top two 1/2 inch pieces of mdf, covered both sides with 1/4 hardboard and edgebanded the whole thing. Its easier to move around( i made a short 12 inch high base that the top can be stacked onto when in use. Kind of a breakdown-able router table
                      Its pretty solid at that thickness and material. I never liked the BT3100 as a router table, too small and the fence wasnt so nice

Comment

Working...