• Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

Help on Biscuit joiner

I have been thinking about buying the PC biscuit joiner now for several months but have been putting it off mostly due to the money ( I would rather spend my hard earned money on other stuff like car repairs and food but can see the need for using biscuit joining so therefore have been thinking about it hard. Anyway, I ran across this idea http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...020.htm#detail
    and wanted some of you that use biscuit joining to maybe see what you think of the idea. Normally, some of these so called better ways or systems just don't measure up if you know the ins and outs but sometimes a good idea actually comes up and maybe this is one of them. All comments, ideas and opinions welcome.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I've been using Woodhaven's (matched) bit and plywood biscuits for years.

Takes longer to mark than it does to cut

See here: http://www.woodhaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=124

Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I have the PC and like it a lot. I think the biggest difference would be ease of setup. The biscuit joiner does the job easily, and repeatably.

Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• mehranh
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • San Francisco, CA, USA.

I haven't used the router bit, buy I have a dewalt biscuit joiner, and love it. I definately recommend it as a must have tools.

Comment

• RayintheUK
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
          • Ryobi BT3000

The most obvious difference between using a biscuit jointer over a router and bit is that before the cut is made, the face of the biscuit jointer is already against the stock and lined up for the cut. Most biscuit jointers have friction pads built in, to prevent or minimize the possibility of any sideways movement caused by the entry of the spinning cutter. The right-angled fence on a biscuit jointer allows it to be used to cut slots on the face of a board near the edge or - with the fence removed - anywhere on a board face.

Contrasting the use of a router bit application, the bit will need to be slid sideways into the cut by hand, as opposed to plunging a biscuit jointer. Whilst this is not impossible, it is certainly more challenging, even if you can use the router fence as a form of steady (and that would only be for a few joints). The router bit relies upon a bearing to set the depth of cut, so more set-up time is required. Cutting slots on the face of a board with a router bit is virtually impossible and even near the edge will involve much more instability.

No doubt you could invent a couple of jigs that might help, or use a router table, but there will be a number of variables involved in using the router method that automatically make it much more difficult than using a dedicated biscuit jointer.

Ray.
          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• monte
            Forum Windbag
            • Dec 2002
            • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
            • GI 50-185M

Even though many members use a router to cut their biscuit slots I find it much more easy to do with the dedicated biscuit jointer. Setup is very easy and usually quite accurate.
            Monte (another darksider)
            Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• pnctar
              • Jan 2003
              • Arlington, TX, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

This was my first impression of the PC vs DW a while back ...

http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...&TOPIC_ID=5106

If your going to be doing nothing but butt joints, the router set up would probably be fine. If you're going to use it for putting larger projects together (i.e. 90* corners, shelving, etc) the router and bit won't work. Just depends on your needs.
              Steve
              There are no mistakes in woodworking, only opportunities to reevaluate the design! - Jim Tolpin

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think the router sol'n will work but the points Ray makes are right on the mney - A dedicated BJ is faster and more convenient, it makes the cut in a single plunge whereas the router you need to move the router a bit to cut the slot. Also the BJ can make a cut in the face of a board, not only the edge. And into angles.

Something to think about.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• onedash
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Maryland
                  • Craftsman 22124

My opinion is you should not spend you money on the router bit and just put it towards the PC. I have one and love it. Just remember you usually get what you pay for. I figured Id rather spend more up front on things that are likely to be upgraded or replaced later. When i started with saltwater fishtanks I spent too much learning what not to do. Same goes for just about everything.
                  Thats why I am building my own furniture now instead of buying junk that wont last. It might not be perfect but its wood and it should last.
                  YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• mater
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • SC, USA.

I would go with the PC also.
                    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Whaler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Sequim, WA, USA.
                      • DW746

I have two, the Ryobi DBJ50 mini and the PC557K and use both for different size projects. If I only had one it would be the PC. I have never been dissapointed with a PC tool.
                      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• lcm1947
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Austin, Texas
                        • BT 3100-1

Thanks for the advice gentleman. Yeah, I think you're right the BJ would be a better more versatile tool and if I look at it the way onedash suggested the PC will only cost me around $160.00. Hmmm, did I say only. Well, I guess nobody ever said this hobby was cheap. Well, it sounded good anyway.
                        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• drumpriest
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                          • Powermatic PM 2000

I think you'll be happy with a good biscuit joiner, PC or Dewalt, both seem good to me. And I whole heartedly agree with onedash! That's why I'm building furniture for myself and others, even with my meager skills the stuff is TONS better than they could afford otherwise.

Keith Z. Leonard
                          Go Steelers!

Comment

• woodinville guy
                            Established Member
                            • Sep 2003
                            • Cedar Park, TX

A number of us got the biscuit joiner from O'Malley tools and have been happy with that. It is half the cost of the PC. Their service is reasonable, I had a problem with my first one after a while and I called up and they replaced it.

-Dave
                            - Dave

Comment

• germdoc
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2003
                              • Omaha, NE
                              • BT3000--the gray ghost

I have the OMalley BJ--the older model--still going strong after 1 year. I only do biscuit joints every now and then. If I were going to do them every day--in production work, for instance--I'd get the PC--consistently rated highly.

Or the Lamello--inventor of the BJ cutter, unbelievably expensive though.

I'm curious to know if anyone's tried out the new Ryobi/Craftsman.

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

Working...