• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike P. Wagner
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2005
    • Raleigh, NC, USA.

Help - Check fell off of drill press!

My wife was using my drill press a couple of days ago, and the chuck fell off. It's the smaller Ryobi press, and it's not clear to me what holds the chunk on. It looks like a smooth shaft sticking down from the head of the press, and the inside of the chuck looks smooth. I haven't looked at it that closely yet - maybe it will be obvious when I do.

Any advice on how to put the chuck back on? Will it be obvious when I look at it closely?

Thanks,

Mike P. Wagner
  • Mike P. Wagner
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2005
    • Raleigh, NC, USA.

Ooops - that shold be "chuck" in the subject, not "check". Hey, it's Friday.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

It's most likely a Morse taper - if you look closely the top of the shat is wider than the bottom.

You may need to clean the taper hanging down from the quill and also the inside mating surface of the chuck. Clean it well with mineral spirits or whatever.

Once cleaned you need to press it firmly onto the taper. Open the chuck so that the three figers are withdrawn into the body. Raise the DP table 2 within a few inches of the taper. Install the chuck and use the DP handle to press the taper firmly into the chuck. Use a piece or two of wood under the chuck if you need.

The close machining and fitting of the taper surfaces will keep the chuck on.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• scmhogg
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
        • BT3000

Mike,

If it falls out again, put a tiny bit of valve grinding compound on the taper. Then follow Loring's instructions.

Steve
        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Mike P. Wagner
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2005
          • Raleigh, NC, USA.

quote:Originally posted by LCHIEN

It's most likely a Morse taper - if you look closely the top of the shat is wider than the bottom.

You may need to clean the taper hanging down from the quill and also the inside mating surface of the chuck. Clean it well with mineral spirits or whatever.

Once cleaned you need to press it firmly onto the taper. Open the chuck so that the three figers are withdrawn into the body. Raise the DP table 2 within a few inches of the taper. Install the chuck and use the DP handle to press the taper firmly into the chuck. Use a piece or two of wood under the chuck if you need.

The close machining and fitting of the taper surfaces will keep the chuck on.

Thanks - that did the job!

Mike

Comment

• rockfish
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2005
            • Munith, Michigan, USA.

The most important thing with Morse tapers is to make sure that both surfaces are clean. I have had Morse tapers that would not seat themselves properly because the surfaces were too smooth and shiny. A piece of 3M Scotchbrite works magic by "roughing" up the surfaces just enough to make them seat together properly without taking as much material off as a piece of emery or sandpaper would do.

You get to know a little bit about Morse tapers after running an engine lathe in a machine shop for over 20 years.

rockfish

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

this may be a bit trivial but if it's a really short taper and it only goes into the chuck then it is actually a jacobs taper, it will be abreviated JT. all the same advice applies that was already given.
              in the pictures below the top section of the shaft is a morse taper but the small stub at the bottom where the chuck fits is jacobs taper. many smaller drill presses don't have the MT only the JT on the shaft.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...