X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ljudge

New to woodworking- HELP

Hello,

I am about as new to wood working as you can be. I have been wanting to learn the ins and outs of working with wood but never been around anyone to learn. So I am forced to venture out on my own and try to develop the skill for my personal benefit. There are several things I would love to build but I don't have a clue on where to begin. Right now I am struggling with the purchase of a miter saw and a table saw. Since I am new to this price is an issue but I don't just want to buy cheap I want to find the that happy medium between cheap and quality, if there is such a thing. I have been at Home depot and noticed the RYOBI BTS10S table saw and the TS1340 miter saw which both run for about $100 each. Does anyone own these products and/or know anything about them and if they are worth a purchase for a first time buyer. Or is there something else you can suggest if this is not a good product that is budget minded?

Thanks for your imput..

lj
  • mr.g
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2004
    • Richfield, MN, USA.

Hello LJ,

I think that the most important thing you are going to want to consider is what is it that you want to make/build? Once you make up a short list of projects/ideas then you will be in a better position to decide what tools you will need. For example, building a picnic table or outdoor play set (I built both) I only needed a circular saw, drill press, and router. By the time I moved on to building bookcases or storage units I added a table saw and miter saw.

So don't feel like you have to go out and buy a lot of expensive power tools if you are just starting out.

One other piece of advice is to look at some of the woodworking magazines like Wood, American Woodworker, Workbench, Popular Woodworking, etc. They have lots of good project ideas as well as articles on woodworking techniques and methods. Your local library is also a good source of information.

Mark

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I have the 1340. It's been replaced with a Makita, but it performs fine. I still use it for framing jobs. The only thing about it is that it's prone to going out of square over time. It's easy to adjust though, I paid 60$ for mine on clearance one day.

As to the BTS10, I'd run in fear from that thing. I don't think you CAN buy a table saw that is safe and accurate for less than the BT3100. I think that there are plenty of "better" saws than the 3100, but non cheaper. And you'll notice that when people are comparing the 3100 with other saws, they are typically nearly twice the cost.

If you are looking to safe money on the TS, I'd consider ordering a refurb 3100 from Cummins tools. You can get one for 200$, believe me, the extra 100$ is WELL worth it.

Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

Hi Mark. I normally don't give advice as I don't feel comfortable doing it unless I know for a fact what I say is 100% accurate but I'd be glad to give you my opinion on this matter. I actually purchased the BTS10 about a year ago and became very disappointed in it within a month. It's just too small to do any serious woodworking in my opinion. It seemed everything I wanted to cut was too large for that small table not to mention the power. I ended up taking it back to Home Depot and they actually allowed me to trade it in on the 3100. Yeah I realize the price factor but really stress to you that even if you have to wait before being able to get the 3100 it will be worth it to you in the long run. If you just have to buy something then I'd suggest buying other tools that you can afford until the big purchase. After all a $100.00 saw isn't worth anything if you can't use it for what you need to do with it. Now if the only thing you'll be doing is small stuff then maybe it'll be fine but I doubt it as it seems in no time you'll be wanting to build larger stuff like cabinets and stuff. Anyway that's my opinion from experience.
        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Ed
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2005
          • South Alabama, USA.

lj, I'm somewhat in the same boat as you are...more or less newbie to woodworking. I've used a skillsaw, jigsaw, drill, etc., for the miscellaneous small projects but now I'm faced with finishing a cabin project that the primary contractor skipped out on. I've looked and read and researched till my face is blue. What I've decided on is the BT3100...one of the primary reasons is the precision of cut that is stated and restated by many owners, plus the features that come standard with it that are $100's more extra on some of the higher priced saws. My initial useage would be for ripping long boards for some cabin siding. I've also got a lot of trim work to do, primarily installing doors and windows so miter cuts will be needed. I was thinking of buying one of the $100 TS's and a miter-saw. But, it appears that with some user effort the BT3100 is quiet capable of making nice miters cuts. And, of course, as I researched and read I came upon the "smaller" projects...shelves, cabinets, tables, etc., that if I can build will help furnish the cabin...the BT3100 will make this possible (as long as the operator can contribute his part). All that being said we come to pricing.

Current price of the BT3100 is $299.00. There has been several statements that at Home Depot there are rebate coupons hanging on the price tag holder of the BT3100....from what I've read it is a $50 mail-in rebate. The rebate is supposedly good until the second week or so in January '06. Also, if you can get one of the 10%-off coupons, that reduces the price even more. And, if you can get Home Depot to except a Lowes coupon for maybe 20% off (they do that from time to time...doesn't hurt to check) the price would even be lower.

Here's a breakdown using the 10%-off coupon:

BT3100.......... $299.00
          10%-off.......... -29.90
          $50 Rebate....... -50.00
          Total(before tax)$219.10

Not a bad price for this saw!

Just thought I'd pass this on to you...I'm still waiting on a 10% coupon to get here...then it's off to the BORG!!!!!

Best wishes!!!!

Ed
          Ed - South Alabama
          Original \"Getting Started\" thread pertaining to my cabin: Shopping List for Remote Cabin Project
          Direct link to the Cabin in the Swamp... construction website.

Comment

• germdoc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Omaha, NE
            • BT3000--the gray ghost

You are exactly the customer the BT3 was made for. Get one, learn about woodworking, when or if your talent exceeds the capacities of the BT3, then sell it for about what you paid for it and get a hybrid or other heavy-duty saw. BTW, at some point you will probably need a router table, and with the BT3 you can mount a router and have a very sturdy table at your disposal. Again, you may want to upgrade later.

You don't really need a miter saw unless you will be doing framing or decking type of work, though it would come in handy. I have a Ryobi 10" (the TS1352DXL) which does the job pretty well.

The only other rec. is that if you will be sawing a lot of plywood, get a good circ. saw. I wouldn't skimp here, but go for one of the higher-rated saws like Bosch, PC, Milwaukee, etc.

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Hi, Leo, and welcome to the forum. I have two broad comments to add to the excellent advice you've already received.

1. Focusing on WHAT you want to build, first, is key. If you're going to start out by doing large-ish, square-ish projects like cabinets and bookshelves, a table saw will serve you well. If you're going to be doing small-ish and more ornate projects like jewelry boxes and quilt stands, a bandsaw may be a better first choice.

2. For a new woodworker operating on a tight budget and with limited tooling, there is no single better addition you can make to your shop than a router. Get the saw first -- either table saw or bandsaw -- and make the router your second purchase. With those two tools, you can build almost anything.
              Larry

Comment

• drunkcat
                Established Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Elgin IL
                • BTK

Leo,

There is a beginer woodworking class starting at the Indianapolis Art Center the first week of November (they moved the start date back a week). I am going to be in it trying to unlearn all my bad habits I have developed over the past 1-2 years since I started into this madness. Cost is pretty reasonable, meets one evening a week. you may want to call IAC to see if they still have openings. Another benefit of taking the class is you will have access to the woodshop outside of class time, which would solve your "getting started" tool delema. Check it out-Scott

Comment

• jerrye
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Raleigh, NC, USA.
                  • BT3000

Have the BTS10. OK for construction, NOT OK for intricate or accurate cutting, ie woodworking. Agree with all so far. Saving up for my shop floor, then FIRST purchase is BT3100. Already have router & trim router. Still working mostly with portable tools and can turn out good work with them. Learn from the great people here & heed their advice. Many years of experience on this forum!
                  Jerry

When you think you've built it idiot-proof, they build a better idiot...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you are serious about wood working as a hobby and not just simple carpentry,
                    then you should consider a better saw like the BT3100, its sufficient to be a high quality, accurate tool, much better than the BTS10.

If you must, cosider delaying the purchase of a miter saw. For most crosscut work the BT3100 has sufficent flexibility with the Sliding Miter table to do most crosscuts. The only place where you will find a miter saw better is when crosscutting large AND long pieces of lumber. Even then your cheaper miter saws will limit your width. You'd be better advised to spend more on a reasonable table saw than to cut corners on a cheap TS and a cheap MS.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ljudge

Wow, thank you all for the great advice. I do know what I want to start building, a storage chest for starters and then look at other ideas. I'm convinced the BT3100 is the way to go and will start there. With that I should be able to hold off on the miter saw for a bit. I never put any thought into a band saw or a router. The router does make sense but I have no idea what you would use a band saw for. Ed, thanks for the cost savings idea. Right now Home Depot is giving 10% off to all who open a Home Depot cc account so I may take advantage of that. Scott (drunkcat) you are my hero. I have been wanting to take a woodworking class but have yet to find one. I will definitely be calling the Indianapolis of art and check into that class. Hopefully there are still seats available.

Again, thank you all for your input you all have been a tremendous help.

Comment

• drunkcat
                        Established Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Elgin IL
                        • BTK

ljudge,

I am hardly hero material, but let me know if you'll be in the class so I can keep an eye out for ya. Hope to see you then.

Scott

Comment

• gmack5
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

ljudge,
                          Let us know when you get your BT3100, I have some information for you, but will only post it when someone buys a New (new to them) BT3.
                          Good luck on getting into the class, it would be a smart move.

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
                          Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
                          George

Comment

• Knottscott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Rochester, NY.
                            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

A well built used saw is a better choice in that price range than the BTS10 or any other new saw of similar design IMHO.
                            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...