This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derek C.

Which Router to buy?

I'm getting started in woodworking and I need to but a router. I'm planning on buying a fixed base/plunge router kit. My research has revealed that the Porter Cable 893 and the Bosch 1617 EVS multibase kits are the best.

Which one would you folks recommend and why?
  • meika123
    • Dec 2002
    • Advance, NC, USA.
    • BT3000

I have the Porter-Cable set, and am very pleased with it. I have heard quite a bit about the Bosch, and I understand it is pretty good also.

Dave in NC
    Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

both are really good, you can't go wrong with either one.
      I'm a little partial to the Bosch having gotten one soon after they were introduced.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• maxparot
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I have a Hitachi kit it does the job for me. It tends to be a bit less expensive than the Porter or Bosch. That was the deciding factor for me at the time and I haven't been dissappointed.
        Opinions are like gas;
        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Many experts agree that plunge/base combo by a brand name is the best start. Brand names include P-C, Bosch, Dewalt, Makita and recently Hitachi. Each has something better than all competitors - Bosch is the highest power/weight ratio, Dewalt has the best dust collection, etc. Choose which one is best for you depending on your priorities but you cannot go much wrong with any on the list.
          Alex V

Comment

• Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

I have had a PC693 combo for several years and it has worked well. This year I picked up the PC895 combo and WOW do I like it, haven't used the old 693 since.
            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• germdoc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Omaha, NE
              • BT3000--the gray ghost

I put in my vote for the Bosch 1617 combo. Best bang for the buck, IMO. Great design, quality made. I noticed it's on sale with the edge guide for $218 at Menard's, which is about the best price you'll get anywhere.

The PC was also in the running for me, but the price was too high. I've heard a few negative comments about the plunge base on the new model, don't know any details. Maybe someone with one can chime in. I still think its a great product.

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Whaler
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Sequim, WA, USA.
                • DW746

I have nothing but good to say for the plunge base for my PC895 and I think the same base comes with the PC893 & 894. There was nothing wrong with the plunge base that came with my old PC693. When it comes to routers and a few other tools I don't think that PC can be beat.
                Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

This question comes up every few months and my answer is always the same. All of the routers mentioned already are good routers and will, if properly cared for, give years of good service. The most popular are the Bosch and Porter Cable units.

Check for tool dealers in your area other than the box stores. Pay them a visit and get your hands on the different brands/models. Tool dealers normally don't have the tools chained down so you can get a better 'feel' for the routers. Get the one that feels right to you.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• Hoover
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • USA.

Well I own them both. I prefer the Bosch, for no particular reason. Either router will do you fine. Flip a coin, if nothing else.
                    EDIT: Oops, me bad, I own a PC 693 the older version.
                    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• bmyers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Fishkill, NY
                      • bt 3100

I have a 693 VS and a Craftsman Pro router (red one) that is made by Bosch. It's a 1617 in red plastic instead of blue. Very nice router and the craftsman duo comes with the above-table height adjustment base. Way nicer than a 690 but also a few generations later. The plunge base is super smooth.

If you can catch the Craftsman version on sale, give try it. The clerk at Sears said he's never had one come back. I'm keeping mine.

Matter of fact it is on sale.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00926620000

Bill
                      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Ultrastick
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Raleigh, NC, USA.

Check out the site below. Recon version of the Bosch 1617EVS is $169.95. Good prices on other recon tools also.

U

Comment

• Ultrastick
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Raleigh, NC, USA.

Check out the site below. Recon version of the Bosch 1617EVS is $169.95. Good prices on other recon tools also.

U
                          http://bosch.cpotools.com/?ref=googaw1080

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Scan the catalog selections of plates and other attachment that you are likely to buyin the future and see which one is most universal. I wish that I had been as smart as you before I bought my DeWalt, 3-base (618-3B). It is universally *not* listed for most accessories!
                            Later,
                            Chiz
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

I just got a new Sears catalog last night and it continues to have the red Bosch with a Craftsman label for $200. Seems like a deal to me (although I have bought reconditioned tools before and I believe that is also a good way to go - my tools end up with dings soon after I get them and that is the only disadvantage of reconditioned tools in my experience - they come pre-dinged).

My last router was a PC690 with 3 bases from Woodworker Supply. Also about $200. It has a plunge, fixed, and D-handle base.

I like my PCs (I have 2) but I have read reviews that rated the Bosch higher. I think you will be happy with either.

Jim

Comment

Working...