X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Im A Little Petunia
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2005

Shims,TPand SMT

My OEM throat plate on my new BT3100 saw is slightly lower than the saw table, more so at the front than at the back. I was wondering what would be good to use as a shim(s)? Also it seems as if my SMT is a tad higher than the saw table surface. Any ideas on how to handle this with a minimum amount of fuss? I just hate to start messing with the screws on the SMT. The SMT and fence are square to the blade when checked with an Architectural Drafting Triangle. Thanks

Lynn
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

The SMT is designed to be slightly higher than the main table to keep the wood from dragging. There are plastic shims on the underside where it sits on the rails. Some owners have removed these to lower the SMT.

The stock metal throat plates and the plastic ones from Ryobi do sit too low. They can be shimmed with stips of aluminum cut from cans, wood, or plastic cut from clear packaging or milk cartons either glued on or held with double stick tape. This is the reason most of us make our own plates.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• Im A Little Petunia
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2005

Thanks Don, by coming to the list and asking others about the SMT I feel that I once again have saved my self from doing something that might have made a mess for me! :-)

What type material would you suggest I use for making my own ZCTP? Thanks.
      Lynn

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I took a handful of return address labels, the metalized kind work well, paper if you don't have the metal ones. Each is about 4 mils thick (.004") I stick them to the edge of the throat plate where it rests on the ledge and raises the plate. Took three or four, i think.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Im A Little Petunia
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2005

I had not thought about using labels. I have a lot of those lying around. Thanks for the idea.

Lynn

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Different materials have been used successfully for ZCTP's. Plywood, different hardwoods, polycarbonate (Lexan), and scrap laminate flooring come to mind. Two that don't work well are acrylic (Plexiglass) and Corian type counter material. Acrylic has been known to shatter when cutting the blade slot and the counter top materials are too brittle.

Click on the Leeway Workshop. Lee has drawings and directions on his site. He also sells some on there, I think. If he doesn't have them anymore, one of the other forum members does.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• jerrye
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2004
              • Raleigh, NC, USA.
              • BT3000

Have been wondering: how good is UHMW for throat plates? Characteristics seem to be near perfect for this application. Any thoughts?
              Jerry

When you think you've built it idiot-proof, they build a better idiot...

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

I just did some checking on these. The ZCTP's that Lee was making are now being made by Gugie and sold thru T-Nuts.com. These are made from 'Sanatec', a material similar to UHMW.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                  Bandsaw Box Momma
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

quote:Originally posted by jerrye

Have been wondering: how good is UHMW for throat plates? Characteristics seem to be near perfect for this application. Any thoughts?
                  UHMW-pe is an excellent material for throat plates with the exception of cost. HDPE is cheaper and works just as well. You could even cut up dollar store plastic cutting boards.

Edit: dangit I did it again and posted when SWMBO was logged in [V][V],
                  Black wallnut
                  Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

Working...