What router for accessory table?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tetsuwan
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2004
    • 38
    • cincinnati, OHIO, USA.

    #1

    What router for accessory table?

    Any and all opinions welcome here. I'm trying to figure out what router to get for my BT3100. I've never owned one, never used one, but have wanted one for years. Now with that hole that needs to be filled in the table, I've got the perfect excuse. Are any of the Ryobi routers worth investing in, or is the Hitachi MV 12 the way to go? At this point I assume that I would pretty much put it in place and leave it there, using it primarily for rounding over edges on projects and profiling picture frame molding. What do you think?

    thanks,
    jb
    john barrick
    astroboy@cinci.rr.com
    cincinnati, oh
  • autiger1
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2003
    • 549
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

    #2
    jb...I have a makita that I think is great...but if I had to buy one today... I would probably choose one of the pc 895 kits.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846

    Although it looks like the price on these has jumped substantially.

    Tom

    Comment

    • gmack5
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • 1972
      • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

      #3
      You might also want to look at the DeWalt 618B3 kit, same general specs as the PC, but much better reviews on Amazon.
      It has three bases instead if just two.
      You'll be able to leave the fixed base on your router table, use the "D" handle for free hand stuff and have the plunge base as well.
      I think it's got a better price too, only $10 bucks for the third base!
      That's a steal!
      When I bought the "D" handle for my PC 690, it cost me $90 bucks!

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846





      Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
      Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
      George

      Comment

      • Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • 10490
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

        #4
        jb, the Hitachi 12MV is, by comments from owners, one of the best choices for table mounting. On the other hand, its size can make it awkward to handle outside the table.

        Bosch, PC, DeWalt, and Makita all make good routers that people are happy with owning. A lot of what you buy is personal preference.

        Some of the things you want are
        2+ HP range
        variable speed
        soft start
        1/2 and 1/4 collets
        Fixed and plunge base kits (a 3rd base for table mounting is good
        but not a neccessity)

        The best advise I can give you is to visit a couple of tool supply houses (not Lowe's and HD), ask questions and lay your hands on different brands/models. A lot of what you will be happy depends on how it fells in your hands.
        Don, aka Pappy,

        Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

        Comment

        • LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • 6693
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

          #5
          As Pappy says, lots of good makes and models out there; a few lemons, too, so you do have to be careful. Most of us recommend what works for us, and for me that's the Makita RF1101.

          I second the motion for 2HP minimum. If you're not going to be swinging large panel-raising bits (which won't fit through the hole in the accessory table anyway), 2 to 2.25HP is IMO the optimum size for a first router. That's powerful enough for table use, but not so physically large and heavy as to be a handful (literally) for handheld use.

          A suggestion: before you buy ANY router, invest $20 (or less, if you order from amazon.com) in a copy of "Woodworking For The Router" by Bill Hylton and Fred Matlack. This book is considered "The Bible" on routers and is also a good general woodworking reference. Read the introductory chapters about router types and uses, paying particular attention to the sections on collets and bases. The authors really know their stuff; there is simply no finer accessory you can buy for your router than a copy of this book.
          Larry

          Comment

          • Deadhead
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • 490
            • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
            • BT3100

            #6
            I bought this...
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228013
            ...with the intention of it being used for handhelded and BT mounted router work. I just got my BT a couple of weeks ago, so it's not mounted yet.
            But as a handhelded, I'm very satisfied (my first router, so no basis for comparison). The edge guide w/ dust collection is awesome too.

            And the best part..... it's $175 after the $25 discount and free shipping.
            "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

            Comment

            • pnctar
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2003
              • 537
              • Arlington, TX, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

              #7
              That's a really good deal on the Bosch. Good router too! Me, I'm partial to PC's. Have a PC 693LRPK that's my workhorse and a PC 8529 mounted in the BT. Good tools. Don't skimp on this purchase or you'll find yourself replacing it very shortly.
              Steve
              There are no mistakes in woodworking, only opportunities to reevaluate the design! - Jim Tolpin

              Comment

              • LCHIEN
                Super Moderator
                • Dec 2002
                • 22085
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

                #8
                quote:Originally posted by Deadhead

                I bought this...
                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228013
                ...with the intention of it being used for handhelded and BT mounted router work. I just got my BT a couple of weeks ago, so it's not mounted yet.
                But as a handhelded, I'm very satisfied (my first router, so no basis for comparison). The edge guide w/ dust collection is awesome too.

                And the best part..... it's $175 after the $25 discount and free shipping.
                That's the Bosch 1617evspk - my fave!
                I didn't know they dropped the price down to $200; with the Amazon $25 off deal, that's unbeatable.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

                Comment

                • silverfox
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • 2863
                  • Richland Center WI, USA.
                  • BT3100

                  #9
                  I would seriously look at the new 800 series PC's. Go to Amazon and read the features...it looks like these would be a great router for the BT table with its features like easy motor removal and table top adjustments etc.
                  Mike

                  Comment

                  • cobob
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 252
                    • Rolla, MO, USA.
                    • BT3100

                    #10
                    I bought the chinese makita knockoff on EBay for $14. I takes finageling but it works.

                    Comment

                    • silverfox
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • 2863
                      • Richland Center WI, USA.
                      • BT3100

                      #11
                      LMAO at Chris (cobob)!
                      I have been waiting and waiting and WAITING for someone to buy and actually USE one of those cheap Chinese ebay routers. I'd like to hear more about your experience with that router Chris. Scott McCray (smc331, aka Bowser) bought one awhile back and was going to get back to me when he tried it but he apparently hasn't tried it yet. Or perhaps it self destructed while sitting in the box. My bet is that it will probably serve an occasional user pretty well. That is IF you are lucky enough to get one that is put together correctly and doesn't have any broken or bent parts from the Chinese factory. I have a cheap Chinese grinder that is that same blue/green color and it is noisy as heck...sounds like the bearings have sand in them...I have been using it HARD in this remodeling and it gets so hot you can hardly hang on to it...but it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I paid 6 bucks for it and when it quits I will just throw it away. I looked at those routers but chickened out...was afraid the bearings would get sloppy. There seems to be several people/companies selling them now and the prices are all over the place. Let us know how that thing works, Chris. I am really curious to know if it does the job. For twenty bucks or so it may be a decent second or third router and may do occasional work just fine...please tell us more...
                      Mike

                      Comment

                      • HarmsWay
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • 878
                        • Victoria, BC
                        • BT3000

                        #12
                        John, if it was going to be my only router for a while, I'd get one of the multi-base kits. From all accounts, the Hitachi MV12 is a great router (especially table-mounted) and it's certainly good value, but ... for me it's too large & heavy to be ideal for hand held work.

                        I have the Bosch 1617EVSPK and can honestly say it puts a smile on my face every time I use it. I mounted my older router in the accessory table after I bought the Bosch but only used it once. The Bosch is so much better it's worth the effort to install when needed.

                        Bob

                        Comment

                        • kmk
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 415
                          • .Portland, Oregon
                          • BT3100-1

                          #13
                          Has anyone been using DeWalt 618B3 on BT3100 accessory table? Whats your experience?

                          I initiallly purchase Bosch 1617EVSPK but returned it later to get DeWalt 618B3.

                          Comment

                          Working...