• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Another quick project - plant stand

Wanted to use up the scrap narrow (2 inches or less) and short (2 ft or less) cutoffs so I designed and built a couple of these H-frame plant stands.
    Sort of a hybrid half-lap by addition rather than half lapping and using protruding dowel pegs to strengthen the laps.
    The verticals are two layers and the horizontals are one layer thick.

A real half lap at the center where the two 2" wide horizontal members cross, held together with a single 2" screw from the bottom.
    Made two of them in a couple of evenings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3010278.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	843144

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3010282.JPG Views:	0 Size:	288.1 KB ID:	843145
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-01-2021, 06:44 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Great scrap wood work!
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

My computer is down waiting on a part; can’t see it in detail on this phone screen. What wood did you use? Looks a little like oak.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

just a bunch of cedar fence picket scraps... they last a few years outdoors with no maintenance.

The keyhole planter to the side in the picture was made with cedar fence pickets and was made in 2005 and been outdoors in weather continuously. I cut an inch off the bottom where it was real ragged and replaced the original shelf inside it. that rotted away.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-01-2021, 10:39 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• d_meister
          Established Member
          • Feb 2009
          • La Conner, WA.
          • BT3000

Nice work. It's amazing how well cedar fence cleans up. I've resawn the 5/8 thickness boards just for practice, and then run the pieces through a planer. It's actually nice wood when you get the fuzzy part off, as can seen on Loring's work.

Comment

Working...