New Entertainment Center to Replace An Old One.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by Two Much

Jim, not sure what you mean? You have 60" tv in there now and it's on feet? You want to eliminate the feet?
    Can you post another pic? You want to have the tv flush with the front of the cabinet?
    As I posted, I have a 55" TV in the cabinet now. It sits on two feet that project about 3 inches in front of the screen for stability. The feet raise the set about four inches from the shelf surface. By hanging the set on a wall mount behind the set, the umit could be lowered and moved out flush with the front of the cabinet. It would also allow you to pull the set out and angle it to provide access to the back connecting ports. Nothing too scientific, just would make any entertainment center more usable. I'm not planning on doing this, but had I thought about it when deisigning iit would have made it a better design.
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 07-29-2018, 08:09 PM.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Two Much
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Long Island, NY
      • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

What about attaching a strip on the inside of the cabinet under the shelf. Let's say about 6" X the width of the cabinet
      glueing it inside and screwing it down from the top edge from the shelf above it? finish it to match the cabinet.

In addition, you could also run two strips about 2" wide ( one strip on each side) from under the 6" wide strip down to
      the the tv shelf below.

None of this would be visable as it all would be stained to match the cabinet and the TV would cover it as well.
      Is that a crazy idea?

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Two Much: I think perhaps you've misunderstood my posts. I was offering a design idea for entertainment centers, not so much what I wanted to do with mine. Things work fine as it is built, and loaded, but it could have been better as I stated. If I wanted to correct the "flaw" in mine, I'd just add a panel to the back of the unit tying it into the solid wood stiles on the sides of the back. However, the empty unit weighs 265 pounds empty and due to its height and width, requires 3 people to move it. Currently it is nearly 350 pounds full of stuff and strapped to the wall in two places for anti-tipping protection, so I have no inclination to add a wall type TV mount to the unit. Again, the wall mount idea was for those who might read this thread with the idea of building their own entertainment center.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Two Much
          Established Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Long Island, NY
          • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Sorry...I did misunderstand.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Two Much, for some reason that slips my mind finding a tv that fit the existing opening was a must! I believe we were just going to build a base unit that slid into the 50”opening and just set the new tv on it, I’ll still probably build something that just fits the opening rather than mess with tying it into the baseboard, crown molding and have to build moldings for the opening. It’s been this way for 11 yrs and hasn’t seemed to bother us yet so I might not do anything special, and yes the next tv will be larger and will fit outside the opening by about a foot on each side.

Comment

Working...