• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Vertical Tool Storage

My Tool Tower: I started thinking seriously about this around 4 years ago. First at 24 inches square, and about a month ago decided to make it 27 X24 inches in order to have 24 inches square inside for the shelves. I made some changes three weeks ago after having the 24 X24 adjustable shelves installed. Suddenly an idea hit me and I took the shelves out, took the posts out one by one to cut a rabbet for the pegboard, and installed recessed peg boards on 3 sides.

The idea that hit me was: what happens in ANY closet with shelves (even adjustable) from the bottom to top. Stuff gets packed, hidden and stacked on top of each other. So I decided to do the recessed peg board. This whole Tool tower idea came to me in Japan because of all of my “tool cased” tools. Stacked on top of each other and in front of each other. Then after getting home in 2010/2011, I started thinking specifically about this tool tower. Then 2 years ago I saw an article in a magazine kind of like this one (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/549157748295059486/) but that one was made for larger tools instead of storing tool cased tools. The pict in the link has peg board but I had already decide to to that before seeing this one. For me, I needed cased tool storage primarily, second uncased tool storage and third, screws bolts nuts and chargers. I may make a second one (24 inch square) for sanding, glue, clamps and painting storage.

On the first picture below, notice the 2x5s, they are recycled boards someone was going to throw away. I cut the 2x6s down to 2x5 to get rid of same banged up edges.

(The Pictures are taken in the “storage room” in which half of my girls old stuff is finally gone. It also has a 220 AC that cools well considering it is over 24 years old. )

First picture is mostly BOXED tools with a few loose ones (two circular saws and a Grizzly track saw) that I will eventually put on a shelf. Mostly, I can get to my boxed tools for quick retrieval when occasionally needed. Especially the Fein mulitmaster, Festool sander, Drill Doctor, Old but good PC biscuit cutter, Dado set, a corded Ryobi grinder set; a practically new heavy duty Sears drill that I don't ever remember buying (probably son in laws).

IF you notice some strange lines in the peg board, that is photoshop lines. I only had my cell phone so I tweaked the dark areas to make the deep cubby holes more visible.

This storage bit has 5 inch casters, all swivel and all lockable. I love being able to turn it in a circle VERY convenient in tight spaces.

On The left side panel, I added in some of the Ryobi tools for scale and maybe for suggestions from some of you. Also you can see my Fein multi tool case inside the front for a scale.

Second picture: Corded tools, about half burried on a couple of tables or on a shelf under other stuff. Still trying layout positions and finding the right hangers. Trying to figure out what to do with the cords! I still have three more tools to put on this board. I may move the Grizzly Tracks to the backside which is not shown in these three picts.

Third Picture: My Cordless tools: One non-Ryobi - the Hitachi right angle impact driver in the center. By the way, Long ago, I loved the move from nails to screws. I rarely ever use a nail. Then LOML bought the two nailers below about 18 months ago. One is a 16 gauge nailer the other is a an 18 gauge stapler. Love those two tools. A battery will drive several rows of staples/nails and it will drive them into oak too!

I'm not through with everything. I didn't show the back and haven't added anything there yet. I am playing it by ear. Suggestions welcomed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by leehljp; 07-11-2016, 10:25 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Updated the photos with hanging tools
    Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      Color coordinated!
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Looks great. I'm jealous, you have at least two more Ryobi cordless tools than I do (two nailers, I just have the brad nailer, and what looks like a sander). I have two Ryobi 18V yard tools, however.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by JimD
      Looks great. I'm jealous, you have at least two more Ryobi cordless tools than I do (two nailers, I just have the brad nailer, and what looks like a sander). I have two Ryobi 18V yard tools, however.
      My daughter has a Ryobi 18V trimmer weed eater. She uses it occasionally but prefers her gas weed eater. I told her to give the Ryobi to me and I could always use another battery.

I absolutely love the nailer and stapler. I am totally surprised at the power and how many nails/staples each battery will drive and how deep they will drive in hard woods.

I have two Ryobi lights that are not on the board. The ones I am not impressed with are the sawzall, jig saw and corner sander. The sawzall didn't have the power I thought it would. It does fair. The Ryobi 18V jig saw does not compare to my Bosch! Duh! It is OK in given situations such as in the attic. The little corner sander, - I am just used to more power. My Fein Multimaster is light years ahead even if it is tied down with a cord. The circular saw: I usually carry that in the car with me. If I am at Lowes, HD or at a place and need to cut something down to get it in the car, that saw does it. The 18V hand grinder does a very decent job with metal cut-offs. It is handy and I don't have to get an extension cord every time I need to use it here there and yonder. That really is the advantage that most of the Cordless tools have - except that little corner sander.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I am just the opposite of your daughter on trimmers. I have a lightly used Husquavarna gas trimmer that has not run right since I got it. I bought the Ryobi to use in it's place. I've had better luck with lesser brands. But the little Ryobi works great and I see no need for another gas weed whacker. Putting line on it is easy, it advances nicely, and it trims fine. It doesn't have as much power but it has enough to do what I want it to. Little trees it won't cut but I carry a knife and can deal with that.

Comment

Working...