• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

New DP stand

On my long list of shop related projects I have been meaning to build a stand for my DP that also has storage space for all my drill bits etc. It had previously been sitting on an open style stand that was wasting valuable space and was 4 inches shorter than the adjacent bench.

I made this out of a reclaimed old oak entertainment center I picked up from somebody who sold it for $10. It can be a good idea to watch out for these on CL especially those that were designed around the older glass and projection TVs. They are no longer very desirable but can be a good source of shop grade plywood and trim. The one I got was approx 7'W by 6'H and I would guess was constructed from at least 2 full sheets of plywood. I also netted 4 solid wood drawer fronts and doors and a bunch of fixing and a set of casters. Not bad for $10. Pulling them apart can be a bit of a pain but its worth it for getting shop grade materials.

Its not exactly fine furniture but it does the job.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-30 17.06.27.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	801039

Still have one small drawer at the top to add but was missing a set of slides.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Good idea, and a nice use for a reclaimed cabinet.

I see you've mounted it on casters. I have a floor standing drill press (Ridgid 1550), and to some extent unfortunate, it's stationary. Even with a mobile base, I'd be afraid to move it around with any frequency as it would be very top-heavy. So as it is, I have to plan for a permanent position with adequate space. With your setup, you don't have that problem at all and the cabinet/storage drawers makes that pretty nice.

Thanks for the post,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
      Good idea, and a nice use for a reclaimed cabinet.

I see you've mounted it on casters. I have a floor standing drill press (Ridgid 1550), and to some extent unfortunate, it's stationary. Even with a mobile base, I'd be afraid to move it around with any frequency as it would be very top-heavy. So as it is, I have to plan for a permanent position with adequate space. With your setup, you don't have that problem at all and the cabinet/storage drawers makes that pretty nice.

Thanks for the post,

CWS
      I have seen a number of designs for putting floor DPs on a mobile base. It is possible as long as you keep the base of the DP as close to the ground as possible. Here are a few examples. 2 shop made and one commercial.

Name:	31-DP-00958.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	787583

Name:	378374.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	787584

Name:	51bDo7pfrLL.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	787585
      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

That's a good looking stand! I am always jealous when I see folks with the DP121L. I waited too long and missed out on them. I don't have my full height drill press, but I certainly don't need it as big as it is, and with a mobile base like you set up, you can store all your drilling stuff right there with the press. Hard to beat that!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
          That's a good looking stand! I am always jealous when I see folks with the DP121L. I waited too long and missed out on them. I don't have my full height drill press, but I certainly don't need it as big as it is, and with a mobile base like you set up, you can store all your drilling stuff right there with the press. Hard to beat that!
          Hey DB make me an offer. would swap for a SawStop TS :-)

Seriously its a pretty good DP. Never measured the runout but it doesnt seem to create holes with any noticeable 'slop.' I find the depth adjustment a little annoying but so far it has dealt with everything I have thrown at it.
          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by poolhound
            I have seen a number of designs for putting floor DPs on a mobile base. It is possible as long as you keep the base of the DP as close to the ground as possible. Here are a few examples. 2 shop made and one commercial.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22572[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]22573[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]22574[/ATTACH]
            My comments: First design looks good and traps the base of the DP while widening the stance for more stability. It has swivel casters and I presume locking. It doesn't add to the height significantly.
            Second design has some issues to me. The base of the DP is not captured or bolted so the side to side tippiness of the DP is not improved. They are quite top heavy so widening the stance is important. Second the wheels don't appear to swivel, making it hard to maneuver. Don't understand the knobs on the side of the base... do they somehow lock the base to keep it from moving?

Mine:

It raises it up a little. THe bottom is beveled and a 2x4 wedge with a flat to to can be kicked under it to make it not move. Very simple, the added height has not been an issue. and the lateral stability is improved and the base bolted to it.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-02-2016, 03:32 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Good looking cabinet!
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

Working...