• Show
Clear All
  • Two Much
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Long Island, NY
    • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Design Follows Functionality...

I gave this little project much thought. It's the first WW'ing project we've done
    since the bookcase and mantle over the big TV. This was a really fun project.

I originally planned on painting the entire thing red, but ended up keeping the
    bottom stained and just the top painted red.

It's a charging station end table. It holds in the front part my mini IPad, two kindles,
    my exterior battery charger. under the flip up door is the charger. My regular IPad
    is always in use, so there is no need to store the IPad in there. However, I did buy
    a 6 foot charging cord to be able to use my IPad while charging.

It can charge up to 6 devices. I was restricted in the size, as it had to fit inside my box window
    and it had to share the space with my couch.

There is a hole in the back for the strip plug to come out, plus it also provides some air circulation.
    I'll be back with the pics.
  • Two Much
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Long Island, NY
    • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Here's the inside
    Attached Files

Comment

• Two Much
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Long Island, NY
      • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Sorry, I'm still trying to post multiple pics, but having trouble trying to do so.

Here's the inside under the flip top. I'll give it another try on posting multipal pics.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Two Much
        Established Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Long Island, NY
        • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

ok, I think I figured it out.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Two Much
          Established Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Long Island, NY
          • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

the wood behind the latch, the keg and backplate, and the wood strip around
          the box, I was originally intended for it to be walnut.
          After we made it in walnut, I didn't like it, so changed it to oak. Since I also
          decided later not to paint the table I think it was a good choice.

I painted the little whittled bird (that we put on the criss cross under
          the table) to match.

Hope you think it's adorable. Thanks for looking, Joann
          Attached Files

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

Absolutely adorable!

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

Lovely! Functional and artistic! Very well done!
              "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas
              => Bade's Personal Web Log
              => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Two Much
                Established Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Long Island, NY
                • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Thank you, thank you gentlemen...my fingers are still numb forum sanding the back splashes and keys,
                and I did it two times.

The drawer is fake. I included a drawer in the original plan, but that made it too tall.
                the overall hight is 26" cause I wanted it to level out with the couch arm.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Painted wood, well you made that look great! Your projects are always great. I like how you carried the paint to the table as a subtle accent, nice touch and the bird.... just outstanding.
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Two Much
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Long Island, NY
                    • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Thanks, Black Walnut, that was so nice of you to say that...
                    I was originally planning on a shelf on the bottom,
                    but changed it to criss cross to make it look lighter and also to highlight
                    the bird. I stained the box first, to help darken the red paint, then gave it two
                    coats of red craft paint --that I mixed with a bit of golden bronze...2 coats of red, then after a
                    few days I gave the box 4 coats of butchers waxed over two days, until I
                    got the soft luster I wanted.
                    The table I gave three coats of water based poly. Never used it before,
                    and it was a dream to use.
                    It's so funny, everyone that's sees it, wants one..they said that we should
                    set up an assembly line, make a bunch and give them out as Christmas presents!

I have a backsplash project we did this summer, where do I post that?
                    Home improvement, or here?

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

A beautiful piece indeed!

I think you have an excellent eye for design. Combined with your craftsmanship, the results are strikingly exquisite in my humble opinion. Everyone has their own taste in such things of course, but this piece was really eye-catching for me. The little bird just added to the charm, and as other members have said, "Adorable". I very much like your paint scheme too, and especially your choice of hardware. It reminds me of older periods, when such artistry set the flavor of a much richer time in home furnishings.

There appears to be a mark on the front face of the table, just below the top... is that an embellishment? (Sorry, it isn't clear to me.) It almost looks like 'spread wings', but maybe it's just my imagination. If so, can you give us a closeup of that?

Thanks for your post, it is simply lovely,

CWS
                      Last edited by cwsmith; 10-26-2015, 06:54 PM.
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Two Much
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Long Island, NY
                        • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Thanks so much CWS...I'll have to show the head cabinetmaker this post. I used to drive him crazy
                        with my eye for detail, but he's use to it now. I need a lot of visual aids, so I often mock up my designs
                        in cardboard or oaktag. I wanted the box to line up exactly with the edge of the table legs below; one
                        clean line.
                        I thought it important to put in that little piece of red molding under the table top, to
                        marry the two pieces. The birds red base is double faced taped on. The bird was made to spin around
                        on the base, that's why in some of the pic's the box is sitting on top of the table with the back view.
                        I chose this front because it looks like a sunburst.
                        The oak is re-cycled oak church kneelers...we stripped all the padding off them, took out all the screws,
                        filled all the holes with plugs and planned them. We made lots of stuff with this free recycled wood.

Thanks for commenting on the hardware, I scrounge yard sales and good will for hardware, knobs, etc...
                        the only thing I bought for this table was the little hinges for the flip top inside for 3.50 and the craft paint
                        for about 90 cents after my 40 percent coupon discount at Michaels Arts and crafts.
                        I love getting a bargain.
                        Here's the pic's, I cropped them.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Two Much
                          Established Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • Long Island, NY
                          • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Oh, I wanted to show the table in progress...
                          Thanks for your interest. This was funnest project that we did in a long time.

Now, where should I post my backsplash post...another problem project that took much
                          thought and anxiety.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Two Much; 10-26-2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• radhak
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Miramar, FL
                            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Wow! Neat design, and great eye for design - with a gorgeous outcome! Nice colors.

It took me some time to figure out how neat your design is - that flip bottom to hide the cables is a beauty. Is it a push-to-close-and-push-again-to-pop-open?

I am still wondering where the devices receive their ends of the cable(s) from.

And thanks for the w-i-p pics. the table joinery is intriguing.

Btw - I'd put back-splash project into the home-improvement section. Looking forward to it!
                            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                            - Aristotle

Comment

• Two Much
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2003
                              • Long Island, NY
                              • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Thanks Redhack. Do you mean where the plugs plug into?
                              While I was looking for close-up pics, I just now discovered that I
                              have a section in the camera photos that said, ' recently deleted'
                              I never knew there was this section on the IPad.

anyhow...I found some drawings of where I started and as you will see
                              the start to finish (from clipboard -- to completion ) is quite different.

I was going to put a drawer in the table...the table was going to be thin
                              legs with wood turnings on top and bottom of the legs...then it was going
                              to be thick straight legs with cymas on the bottom...then the top ( oaktag
                              pattern for the top and drawer front apron is pictured) was a little fancy
                              smanchy ... If you look at my old postings, the first birdcage we made
                              (in walnut) I mocked up the entire thing in oaktag...It's crazy, I wish I
                              had taken some design courses in my younger days, as I struggle with
                              trying to her my ideas on paper for a build.
                              I'll come back with pics of the inside of the box, first I want to show
                              ( just for giggles) where I started from...

the drawing on the clipboard, had a drawer in the table ( where the criss
                              cross is -- in the completed piece. under the apron, I had a slide out try
                              for a drink... Also, the top of the box was flat... oh boy, what was I thinking?..
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...