• Show
Clear All
  • Neal
    Established Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
    • Ryobi BT3000

Some cabinets for my garage

This past weekend I finished some cabinets for my garage. Il decided to build European style boxes, no face frames multiples of 32, etc.

The dimensions of the cabinets are 896 mm long by 538 wide. They are 3/4 plywood with stained poplar trim. The doors are rail and stile construction.

The boxes were assembled with domino's at the top and bottom and the back is 1/4" ply in a dado, roughly 3/4" from the edge of the rear. There are plywood "nailers" pocket holed on the backsides for mounting.

To do the shelf pins and the hinges I used the festoon lr-32 system with my festool router. I also out my trusty bt3000 to work for much of this project.

I used minwax poly and minwax stain for the finish.

Thanks for looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Looking good, Neal.

As a new Domino user myself, what is your Domino spacing? Are you using the 5mm tenons or larger?

I'm so used to making cabinets with face frames. In frameless cabinets, the box is kept square just by the back?

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Looks great!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

They look nice. I used a garage cabinet to get used to my track saw. I think they are good projects to try newer things on.

Frameless cabinets aren't just held square by the back, the joints also help. But without at least strips at the top and bottom they wouldn't resist racking well - at least until attached to the wall. Once on the wall, there should be nearly no racking load.

Comment

• Neal
          Established Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Ryobi BT3000

I used 5mm dominos. I used the paddles on the df500's face and set the "outrigger" up on each side at a predetermined interval (just don't remember) so there are 4 dominos for each corner, roughly equally spaced. On the longer pieces I cut narrow domino slots. On the tops and bottoms, I cut one of them at the narrow setting and the others at the widest setting to account for any misalignment Everything went together very smoothly. I thought I had the 6mm bit in the DF500 and didn't realize until I tried to put a 6mm domino in a 5mm slot....That doesn't work very well. The ply is 19mm thick, and your domino is supposed to be no more than 1/3 the thickness of the boards you are joining. the print on the 5mm bit looked like 6. I would have rather used the larger, but they are solid as is. When people speak of the domino as being a game changer, I would agree completely. It has changed the way I do things for the better. Quicker, easier, more accuracy. Very nice tool to have. I do not regret the $$ spent on it one bit. (I haven't regretted any $$ I have spent on my green toys yet for that matter...Amazing system).

They really didn't rack too badly. The backs are 1/4" ply and they just float in a dado (I did use spaceballs to take out some of the play), but it does help them from racking.

I also got a chance to use my HF hammer drill to screw the studs to the block walls. It made quick work of that. Another $20 well spent for something I will use very sparingly.

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Those look really nice, actually really similar to what's in our kitchen that we just did a total remodel on a couple years ago lol. I thought people just put old kitchen cabs in their garage, that's what I did anyway

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Jealous Neal! those look really great for the shop. Well done!
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Neal
                Established Member
                • Apr 2012
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by tfischer
                Those look really nice, actually really similar to what's in our kitchen that we just did a total remodel on a couple years ago lol. I thought people just put old kitchen cabs in their garage, that's what I did anyway
                I have my old kitchen cabinets in my garage as well. The base cabinets are all on wheels and I used that laminated particle board (white plastic slick stuff) as counter tops. The wall cabinets are hanging on the wall. I even went to the dumpstore and found two additional base cabinets at my neighbor's house which I made into a router table. And a short "bridge" cabinet that matched which I have also hung on the wall.

IT is a calico design of sorts. My old dark brown kitchen cabinets. My light oak colored (there isn't much actual oak in them) dumpstore diving cabinets. My large red oak colored pantry cabinet and the ones I've made-which are all stained similarly to those.

I can just see the potential buyers on HGTV now...."But look at the cabniets in the garage, none of them match! We'll have to keep looking at other houses."

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Looks good. I've been using the domino on cabinet construction as well. I especially like using the domiplate with it.
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Neal
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Ryobi BT3000

I did purchase the domiplate for this project. Money well spent, IMO. Consistent, and provides better control of the DF500.

Comment

Working...