My weekend accomplishment. Nothing too fancy, but necessary.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neal
    Established Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
    • Ryobi BT3000

My weekend accomplishment. Nothing too fancy, but necessary.

So my "shop" is my one car garage. My better half really likes to keep her car in my workshop, and as such, Everything has to be mobile. My shop base cabinets (repurposed from my kitchen) are all on wheels. My table saw has casters mounted to the legs, but it is a PITA to move around when necessary. So my weekend project this weekend was to make the mobility of my BT3K a little easier.

It started with this:

Which I purchased from Rockler, on sale for $50.

I had an old 2x8 which was holding down the bottom shelf of my work bench and ripped it into 1.5x1.5 boards to use as the connectors for the base.

Here is the rough fit up, which I used to mark the holes for drilling.

I borrowed my FIL's drill press (because I don't own one of those yet). to bore straight 7/16" holes in the appropriate places.

Once I connected all of the nuts and bolts, and axles and such, this is what it looked like without the saw.

Perhaps the most difficult thing of the whole project was 1. Carrying the drill press from my truck to the garage, and then lifting the saw onto the base by myself.

Other than that, we planted our flowers, the rest of our tomatoes and herbs this weekend, and did the whole "mother's day" visitations and meals.

Next weekend I will get nothing done, and that is OK with me. I get to watch my step daughter graduate from Davidson College in Davidson, NC, and then help her move her crap back home to be stored in my *shop* ( ie garage/personal storage unit) for a month before loading it all up to take to Dallas for her job.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Looks like somebody beat me to kicking off the weekend accomplishments thread! Awesome!

Yeah, those mobile bases make life a LOT easier in a space constrained shop for sure. I have a couple of the Harbor Freight mobile bases. The Rockler units being based on effectively 2x2 nominal (1.5x1.5 actual) lumber makes them a LOT easier to put together, and sturdier than the HF units based on 1.25x1.25" stock...

That mobile base setup looks pretty easy to work with. I might just have to get one to put the BT on until I can get up off my back pockets and build the mobile workstation / cabinet for it...

My weekend was productive. LOML and I went to the mulch lot and got a cu yd of red mulch, and re-mulched the flower beds, and around the trees. The border brick that was deteriorating was replaced, and refrehsed. and the flower bed in the back yard was at least partially re-established.

We went to Home Depot on Saturday and picked up 3 sheets of Hardie Panel, 4 sticks of Hardie Trim, a Diablo PCD Hardie blade, and some other misc doo dads for starting to replace the bad siding on the house... My circ saw appears to have been somehow damaged in storage the slotted curved piece for the adjuster is bent. I either need to replace the piece, straighten it, or get a new circ saw... Ugh...

Not exactly woodworking related, I picked up a HF Radiator Pressure Tester kit, and a Pulley Remover / Installer kit to help me with the work needed on the Saturn. The radiator test kit looks to be pretty decent. The Pulley tool concerns me somewhat. It just does not seem that well made... I also picked up a few socket rails in both 3/8" and 1/2" to be able to pilfer the clips off of so that I can finalize organizing my existing socket rails. Which I did. Likewise I organized my pliers drawer, 1/4 drive and extensions / ratchets / drivers drawer, and started working on the wrench drawers...

The shelf mounted above the band saw has been out of level since I initially installed it. I took it down, lowered it to just barely clearing the band saw, and made doubly and triply certain it is level...

While we were at Home Depot, I picked up a Bosch Half Moon saw blade for the oscillating tool. I have not mounted it yet, but the Bosch Package does state it fits Chicago Electric multitools... I could have gotten by MUCH cheaper going with Harbor Freight accessories, but I was already at Home Depot, and I am somewhat partial to Bosch blades...

Outside of the shop, the weather stayed bad all weekend, so cutting anything outside like the Hardie was NOT an option, so I ended up working with LOML to remove the wallpaper from the kitchen, mostly, some spots left to finish, I need to get the ladder out to get to them.... and I worked on sorting / organizing old boxes of papers and misc stuff that either needs to get filed, put up, donated, recycled or just thrown out...

Even though my old Skil Circular saw is, well an old Skil, it is a USA made model, and I have had it literally for decades. I would like to try to fix ti if I can... I need to start looking for replacement parts. The bigger question though, what to call that part?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Lookin' good. I have the same situation - 2 car garage that 'doubles' as my shop, so everything is either around the perimeter or mobile.

Spent the weekend away at my mom's, celebrating Mother's Day, planting a bunch of flowers for her, etc. Will be doing that sort of thing at our place this week too if the rain finally goes away, now that the frost danger has mostly passed. But I'll be continuing with the bunk bed project too I hope.

-Tim

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

A lot more accomplished than me this weekend. Looks great
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...