• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

CSMS Dust Hood

I finally got around to snapping a couple of photos of my sliding miter saw dust hood. The cart was existing, the saw is a 10" Hitachi sliding compound miter. After 3 mock ups it became a lot smaller than I expected. 1/4" Lexan was used for its skin because I wanted the light, and I had it left over from an old greenhouse project. The bottom vacuum pick up is a floor drain from HD that was intended for driveways. The hood does not limit or alter any angles or cuts so ability is lost by the saw. Access to the top of the saw if necesssary is by lifting the hood off (probably about 40 lbs) or the top is attached by screws and is removable. The sides and back lexan is captured in the wood frame like a raised panel. Did you know that you can attach Lexan in a frame with a finish nailer? I know now, it works great and makes a sturdy frame. Metal 4" clothes dryer flex duct was used until I can replace it with plastic flex duct After seeing how much dust it collects I could kick myself for not building it sooner. I think that I will build another hood simular to this that I can use on my disk/belt sanders.
    capncarl
    Attached Files
  • unclecritic
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2008
    • Michigan
    • Craftsman 21829, (2) bt-3100's

That is very clever! Kinda what i have planned, but my "dust collector" is nothing more than an old craftsman shopvac thats plumbed around with 2" pvc and shop made gates. Anything you would do different besides changing the 4" to plastic?

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

At this time I have not used it enought to be able to see faults in it, but first results say that the dust collection is good. I did use it without the dust collection turned on because I am building a Thien separator for the collector. Dang what a dust storm without it.
      cancarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Very nice. I need to add this to my to-do list for the year.

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I'm curious about the tables on the miter saw. Is that an aftermarket add on or something you built?
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

The tables are something that I fabricated out of 1/2" solid formica. This material is formica coated on both sides and appears to be like solid polyethelene. It doesn't warp and machines very well. I believe it to be the same material that restroom partitions are made out of, and wish I had a truck load of it. I found it at the scrap metal recycler's and bought the 8"x 6' long piece for $10.
            The tables that came with the saw are pitiful.
            capncarl

Comment

Working...