X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

First project in forever

It's not been a great summer in the shop. The most rain I've ever seen, combined with mosquitos everywhere and high humidity have been the environmental factors. I've also been very busy with work. All that adds up to a dank, smelly workshop that still isn't what I want it to be. A few times over the summer I've entertained the thought of liquidating, because what I need is a new, slightly bigger and cooled shop and it isn't happening.

Despite all that, I finally got the urge to do something out there, even if it was a bit of a shortcut. My network got hit by a lightning strike, and I had to replace some components. That inspired me to finally tackle the mess of wires and cables that a router and modem can make in a corner.

I made a board that holds them. When I say make, I mean I bought a painted MDF shelf and put a few holes in it. $5 was worth having nearly a perfect fit for the space and not having to deal with the gigantic mess MDF dust makes. I did a French Cleat so that I could pull it off the wall easily. Not a skilled project by any means, but I'm certainly happy with the results. Even had room to mount the UPS at the bottom and still clear the wall plate. Much better when you note the broken drywall to the left signifying where they were before.

After I made that, I was back out in the shop and decided to cross something off my list I had been wanting to do forever: a dado blade cubby.

I had to go back quite a ways to find a picture of it, you can see the old one in this corner - it was made like a right triangle and stuck out pretty far from the wall, unlike it's big brother. Hitting my head on it wasn't appreciated.

So I made a new one in a more compact style. Used the drill press and bandsaw, tools I have barely touched this year. Went quickly, and the scraps I had on hand were perfect - no cutting necessary aside from the slots. Much needed upgrade here. Holds the entire dado set plus my circ blades.

I have a little blog about my shop
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Looks like a good upgrade. I need to get my shop back in working order. It's beyond a mess still...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...