Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Walnut Library Table

Its finally finished . . .

Walnut library table finished with three coats of sealer under three coats of lacquer, no stain or any other treatments. I had the lacquer applied commercially; no other safe way to handle lacquer finishes on larger sized projects.

Idea was to show off the unusual grain pattern of the walnut. (A previous post showed the unfinished table.) The drawers are on the side, rather than front, of the table. Table top is about 40" long by 11" wide. Made to order for its intended location.

Question: Other than stain that is allowed to dry thoroughly, what other grain-popping finishes can be used under lacquor?

Thanks for looking. Regards, Steve.
    Attached Files
  • jdon
    Established Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
    • BT3100

Wow! Nice work.

FWIW (and not much, as a finishing tyro), I've used Transtint dyes dissolved in shellac, under a lacquer finish, with good success on some softwoods. I've never tried it on walnut, though.

For me, dyes are much easier (forgiving) to work with- no blotching, as with stains, and give the wood a richer look.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

You could thin BLO 50/50 with VM&P Naptha (or mineral spirits), and wipe on the bare wood, let sit for a few minutes and wipe off. Allow a day or so to fully dry, and apply your sealer/topcoat in thin applications.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I almost forgot...the table looks very good, and I like the drawers on the end...classy.

Comment

• Crockett
          Established Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Buffalo, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

I can't help on the finishing question, but have to comment on how beautiful the talbe is! Great work!!!
          Al

Comment

• greenacres2
            • Dec 2011
            • La Porte, IN
            • Ryobi BT3000

As beautiful as the pictures are--I've got a feeling they don't do this piece justice. I too, like the drawers in the end. It makes use of a joint that was going to be there anyway without disrupting the front apron.

earl

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

That turned out great Steve! I've no help on the finish question....... have only used lacquer on a couple of projects and didn't use anything under it. Interesting effect where you joined the sapwood on the top, different but it looks great. Most folks cut off sap wood and shun it like a cull but your execution should serve to steer them towards not only keeping it but flaunting it.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

That is a beautiful piece. There isn't much that's needed when the wood itself is that nice. I forget how good walnut looks because the trees sure are a pain the a$$ when they're alive. We lost one of our trees last summer and I gave all the lumber to my sister. We had one piece that will someday be their mantel that was 12" x 4" by 9 feet. I hope my brother in law can do the wood justice as well as you have.
                Chr's

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Great looking table, Steve. Unique idea having the drawers in the ends.

Never tried it on Walnut, but bout a 1 1/2 pound cut of shellac makes Rosewood really pop. Never tried to top coat it with lacquer but it should work. Lacquer is commonly used as a sealant.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• jking
                    • May 2003
                    • Des Moines, IA.
                    • BT3100

That looks great. It looks like both of the back legs have some nice figure on the sides. Do they have the same on the side towards the wall? If they do, you might consider turning the table around to show off the grain.

Comment

• steve-norrell
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • The Great Land - Alaska
                      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by jking
                      That looks great. It looks like both of the back legs have some nice figure on the sides. Do they have the same on the side towards the wall? If they do, you might consider turning the table around to show off the grain.
                      Good point! But, I confess that I didn't pay too much attention to the legs -- IMO, the grain on the front apron piece and drawer fronts trump the legs. Thanks for the comment.

Regards, Steve.

Comment

Working...