• Bloomington, Minnesota.
    • G0899

Matched Book Cases

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC36.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	798266

I finished these matching book cases in November, having started them in January 2012. I based them off of the heirloom bookcase at Wood Magazine (link) with some modifications to suit our tastes. Namely, I chose to omit the scroll work on the head casing of the upper case and the stretcher of the bottom case. I opted out of the cabriole leg, too, because it wasn’t something that fit our space. Some of the dimensions are a little different, too. Mine are about 6” taller and a few inches deeper than the Wood version.

Name:	BC37.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	798267

The middle shelf is fixed; the upper and lower shelves are adjustable with shelf pins and sleeves. I like the sleeve inserts because they give a more finished look. The main case work is birch ply and the trim is birch, which I had purchased from an online auction from a cabinet shop that was going out of business. I’ll explain the finish below.

Name:	BC38.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	798268

Name:	BC39.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	798269

The drawers slide in the cases without drawer hardware, just like “in the old days.”

Name:	BC40.jpg
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	798270

The cornice was constructed from built-up milled pieces. I chose this construction to match the window and door head casings that I made when I refurbished the room.

On to the construction details!

My basement shop doesn’t have a good space to breakdown sheet goods, and it was winter when I started the project. I used a cull sheet of MDO ply on my workbench as a platform and affixed with double-stick tape dots a 1” thick sheet of pink foam as a backer for cutting through the ply so I didn’t gouge up the MDO ply.

Name:	BC1.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	798232

I made both bookcases at the same time, so that meant double the parts. I wanted to make sure that I didn’t mess up the cut order and didn’t want to mix parts from one sheet with those from the other. I used painters tape to lay out the pieces and to make sure that the parts for each bookcase were labeled throughout the project.

Name:	BC2.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	798233

I used a spacer and a straight edge to guide my circular saw. In the following photo, note that I let the tape wrap over the side to show my cut line (approximately ¾” over final). I flipped the sheet so that the good face was down to reduce any chip out.

Name:	BC3.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	798234

I had to use a long board as a guide for cuts longer that exceeded the length of my 50” straight edge clamp.

Name:	BC4.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	798235

That yielded pieces I could safely cut to final dimensions on the table saw.

Name:	BC5.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	798236

There wasn’t anything spectacular involved with cutting the pieces to final dimension, cutting the dados, and dry fitting the bottom cases.

Name:	BC6.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	798237

Still, it’s nice when everything comes together and the dados are snug and gap-free. The plywood sheets I used were uniform in thickness, so I didn’t have to fiddle with adding or removing spacers when I cut the dados.

Name:	BC7.jpg
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	798238

Next up, some lumber milling, starting with the legs!

The finished legs are 6/4, but I didn’t have stock thick enough. I chose to laminate 4/4 stock (actually 7/8”) to make leg blanks. I like the look of straight grain for furniture legs, so I chose stock that had mostly straight grain and marked out leg blanks.

Name:	BC8.jpg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	798239

The final milling shows how the straight grain looks on the face. Yes, there are more than 8 leg blanks; I chose to make 10 so that I had one for test cuts and one as a potential replacement for an ugly leg.

Name:	BC9.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	798240

The next picture shows a better visual of the end grain of the leg stock. I marked them so that I could keep the stock from each board (1, 2, or 3) matched with each other. The subscript helped me keep the blanks within each board matched. I drop stuff sometimes and things get mixed around.

Name:	BC10.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	798241

An even better visual of the effect is shown in the next photo. By using straight grain, and “book matching” the edge grain, the glue seam is barely noticeable. I had to put a little sawdust between the pieces to make the seam visible.

Name:	BC11.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	798242

You need a supply of clamps (only a representation of my arsenal) and a good staging area for face laminating 10 furniture legs!

Name:	BC12.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	798243

I used clamping blocks to help keep the pieces aligned so that I didn’t have glue slippage.

Name:	BC13.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	798244

This is what 10 furniture leg glue-ups, parts for 2 lower cases, and parts for 2 upper cases looks like.

Name:	BC14.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	798245

While the legs glue-ups dried, I dry fitted and then assembled the lower cases. You’ll notice pocket holes in the sides of the lower cases. The Wood plans only used glue to hold the legs to the lower cases. I was nervous about that construction being too weak to support an upper case loaded with books, so I added the pocket hole joinery, which remained hidden. The drawer guides also are visible. They are held in place by screws only, in over-sized holes, to permit adjusting if necessary. At this point of construction, I was in the early parts of summer.

Name:	BC15.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	798246

While the glue was setting for the lower cases, I dry fitted and assembled the upper cases. Having enough long clamps sure helped, and so did the right angle brackets.

Name:	BC16.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	798247

I probably didn’t need to use mortise and tenons to fasten the stretcher to the legs, but doing so gave me a chance to “skill build” with my Delta mortise. I learned to drill slower and not force the bit into the wood so that the bit doesn’t snap. I learned that the hard way. The following picture gives you a visual of one front and one back leg attached to the sides of the lower case.

Name:	BC17.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	798248

Then I had to make a tenoning jig! The plans were from an advertisement for Delta in one of the woodworking mags; I don’t remember which one. I probably didn’t NEED to make a tenoning jig, but now I have one that works great.

Name:	BC18.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	798249

Name:	BC19.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	798250

The next picture shows all four legs attached to the lower case, and the stretcher between the two front legs.

Name:	BC20.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	798251

Next, I cut trim pieces to cover the plywood edges for the fronts of the drawer openings. This was probably the fussiest part of the whole project and required a lot of sanding, scraping, more sanding, and more scraping to make sure the edge trim was flush with the faces of the ply so that the drawers wouldn’t catch.

Name:	BC21.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	798252

I used frame and panel construction for the back panels of the upper cases. I added the middle stile, which was different from the Wood plan. I think it looks better than the expansive field without the middle stile.

Name:	BC22.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	798253

Name:	BC23.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	798254

The millwork for the cornice moulding of the upper casing came next.

Name:	BC24.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	798255

Name:	BC26.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	798256

I strengthened the shelves by cutting rabbets into 1” strips of birch hardwood and gluing them to the plywood shelves.

Name:	BC27.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	798257

I chose rabbets on the ends and edges of the drawer fronts to thin the profile. I also made sure to make them from single boards so that the grain matched and flowed from left to right.

Name:	BC28.jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	798258

Name:	BC29.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	798259

I used the original Incra jig to cut the half-blind dovetails.

Name:	BC30.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	798260

Name:	BC31.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	798261

After much sanding, fussing, fixing, sanding, scraping, and touch ups, it was time for the finish. I used Transtint Dye for the color, mixing 1 ounce red mahogany and ½ ounce of cordovan to one gallon of water. I ended up having to wipe everything with water to dilute some of the dye because the color initially looked too purple in the natural light.

Name:	BC32.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	798262

I used General Finishes Satin Gel Polyurethane for the top coat. By the time I applied three coats of polyurethane, after the applying the dye and wiping off the excess dye, I pretty much was weary of the whole project.

Name:	BC33.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	798263

Name:	BC34.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	798264

Name:	BC35.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	798265

It sure is nice to have the shop back in order! Thanks for looking, and I’d be glad to answer any questions about the project.
    Brian
  • Sweet Willy
    Established Member
    • May 2011
    • Near Chattanooga, TN
    • ridgid 3650

I'm impressed. You do really nice work. Wish I had your talent and patience. I always tend to hurry things up and it shows in the finished product. Comes from being a carpenter for a lot of years and having to get the job done as fast as possible and never doing woodworking until I retired.
    In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
    Dennis

Sweet Willy
    sigpic

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

great project. How many hours do you think you have in it??
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• greenacres2
        • Dec 2011
        • La Porte, IN
        • Ryobi BT3000

Great work. Thanks for documenting the build, it helps to the process in real world.
        earl

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Beautiful bookcases! The write up is nothing short of fantastic.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

They look very good...well done, as well as the build pictures.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
              • May 2003
              • Orlando, FL, USA.
              • BT3000

Brian -

Wonderful. I betcha look over your shoulder at your bookcases and pat yourself on the shoulder for a job well done before you turn out the light and leave the room each night. The devil is in the details, and you got all of them right.

I agree with your choices in changing the Wood plans. And I really enjoyed reading your thought processes and reasons for each step of the build. You proved "PPPPP". "Proper Planning Prevents P$$$ Poor Performance."

Thanks for the post and congrats on a great job.

- Lonnie
              OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

Beautiful work Brian.

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

A project to be proud of, for sure.
                  I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• trungdok
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2012
                    • MA

Looks great. I love reading your thought process.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Brian thanks for the walk through building your beautiful book cases. You did a great job on the project as well as the post. I'm looking forward to seeing more projects coming from your shop.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JR
                        The Full Monte
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Eugene, OR
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by Brian G
                        By the time I applied three coats of polyurethane, after the applying the dye and wiping off the excess dye, I pretty much was weary of the whole project.
                        That's about the time I start losing patience, too, even on small projects! This one is great. Well done, and wel documented.
                        JR

Comment

• steve-norrell
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • The Great Land - Alaska
                          • BT3100-1

Beautiful! All the careful planning paid off handsomely. Just a bit jealous here.

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Very nice!

Comment

• chopnhack
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • Florida
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Very nice Brian!! I too have trouble with the Transtint sometimes, it can be hard to control the absorption, especially over a large area. I did a table top for a kids play table out of pine plywood - not the construction grade and found using a foam brush to lay on a heavy coat of the transtint and trying not to overlap followed by a quick wipe down.... it came out ok, but the process was hectic, it was 2 passes of the brush, wipe and repeat with careful attention and rubbing at the overlapping areas. Not the most appealing finishing method, but I will tell you it is way more durable than spray coating your finish which ends up just sitting on top of the wood.

Again, great work
                              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...