• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

My ultimate workbench (not a Paulk)

I've completed (well close enough) my workbench and I thought I'd post some pictures.

First let me explain why I chose this design. I needed something mobile that could be moved around, I also needed something compact and that could do multiple duties because my "shop" is a garage that my wife uses for her car as well as other things not wood working related. I also needed something that would store my biggest tools which are my two miter saws and a planer. I also needed something that allowed for easy clamping and that was solid and flat.

The design is from this site and you can view all of the features it has:
    http://christophermerrill.net/ww/pla...l_Stand_1.html

The only thing I changed was that I added two drawers that could be opened from either side and a slide out router bit holder and instead of using MDF I used cabinet grade plywood since it was about the same price. I also created my own safety switch which I can turn off with my leg allowing me to keep my hands on the workpiece.

The top boxes (where the clamps slide through) are all screwed on and can be removed if necessary and changed out for either a different design or if I need to change the overall hight of the bench. Currently the bench is the same height as my saw so it works as an outfeed table if I need it. I also added swivel feet to the levelers to keep from digging into the floor and leaving marks.

The only thing I have left to do is to make a better router insert plate and laminate it. I don't have a lot of experience using a router table so I'm waiting to see what my needs will be.

• pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Pretty cool, a really efficient use of space.

How does the router table insert work? I'm assuming it gets swapped out with the chopsaw. Is there an opening underneath the middle area to allow for the router depth?
    Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Nice work, well laid out. It should be a pleasure having everything at hands reach.

Comment

• greenacres2
        • Dec 2011
        • La Porte, IN
        • Ryobi BT3000

Very nice--i like the clamp tracks, a feature i hope to copy someday.
        earl

Comment

• ivwshane
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by pelligrini
          Pretty cool, a really efficient use of space.

How does the router table insert work? I'm assuming it gets swapped out with the chopsaw. Is there an opening underneath the middle area to allow for the router depth?
          Yep, exactly. Take out the saw and slide in the router table which has a hole in it and one on the countertop to access it from below.

The one thing that didn't go according to plan was dust collection. I have a 6 gallon vacuum and it just doesn't do the job. I'd love to get the HF dust collector but I don't have the room

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Man, that is way cool!

I like the clamping system. And the multi-purpose "well" is fantastic.

I'm going to have to think on this a while...
            JR

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Great job!! I like the placement of the planer... I took mine off of the stand due to space issues and have used it right on the floor a number of times. I always thought that I would have issues doing that, but luckily it works out fine - the shavings seem to not go as far either
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• ivwshane
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by chopnhack
                Great job!! I like the placement of the planer... I took mine off of the stand due to space issues and have used it right on the floor a number of times. I always thought that I would have issues doing that, but luckily it works out fine - the shavings seem to not go as far either
                Interesting...the planer was supposed to fit in the well but it doesn't fit unless I remove one of the in/out feed tables but I guess there really is no reason why I can't use it where it is.

Lol thanks! Now I just need to bolt it down.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

clever switch.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ivwshane
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    clever switch.
                    Thanks. It's not my idea though, I found it while searching for a safety switch. It works surprisingly well too, in fact I like it better than the switch on my bt3100.

Comment

• greenacres2
                      • Dec 2011
                      • La Porte, IN
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by ivwshane
                      Yep, exactly. Take out the saw and slide in the router table which has a hole in it and one on the countertop to access it from below.

The one thing that didn't go according to plan was dust collection. I have a 6 gallon vacuum and it just doesn't do the job. I'd love to get the HF dust collector but I don't have the room
                      Here you go, http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=57767&page=3, take a look at post #24. With a separator that has no more footprint than a shopvac, you can elevate the collector. With 10' walls, i went high enough to roll the bandsaw under. And since the dust bag doesn't need to be as big, one could shorten the lower bag to reduce the overall height.

earl

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by ivwshane
                        Thanks. It's not my idea though, I found it while searching for a safety switch. It works surprisingly well too, in fact I like it better than the switch on my bt3100.
                        Leg switches really make sense...especially for table saws. With both hands busy makes for fast shut off.

Comment

• wardprobst
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                          • Craftsman 22811

Very nice, good to see your work!
                          DP
                          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• ivwshane
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by greenacres2
                            Here you go, http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=57767&page=3, take a look at post #24. With a separator that has no more footprint than a shopvac, you can elevate the collector. With 10' walls, i went high enough to roll the bandsaw under. And since the dust bag doesn't need to be as big, one could shorten the lower bag to reduce the overall height.

earl
                            Thanks.

Would a whole house vacuum that was a cyclonic type unit be good for dust collection?

Comment

• spelljammer
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jun 2012
                              • Martinsville, Indiana
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Nice bench! Looks like a lot of use packed in a small footprint. I especially like the mobilty! -Mark

Comment

Working...