• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Garage Storage Rack Conversion

I had made this rack some years ago with the intent on one day making drawers for it. Ironically it was the 300th post so I guess its only fitting that at the 3,000th post I finally get around to doing it

Time flies, but at least my skills are a little closer to getting something like this accomplished!

Drawers are simple lock rabbet joints, three different sizes with the largest size getting a sliding tray to help organize the drawer. The drawers are sheathing plywood, 1/2" used about 2 sheets with minor scraps left. The drawers cut up real fast and were a pleasure to breakdown from sheets. I test fit each one before glue up - I knew that the plywood was not a consistent thickness, varied abit between sheets too and some hand planing was necessary for the joinery to work out. Assembled with glue and brads, most boxes were square within the 32nd or as best as I could measure worst one was out by a 16th.
    The "facing" is a $10 sheet of underlayment sold by home depot. Meranti on one side and possibly birch on the other. I don't know of many sheet goods in this price range that are visually appealing so it was a no brainer. I used one side to hide the rails and stiles as well as the ball bearing drawer slides (fyi - CSHardware has a pretty good drawer slide for cheap!) and the opposite side for the inset drawer face. I will probably brush on a thinned coat of shellac to enhance the color and to help make it easy to keep clean.
    Thanks for looking and thanks to Tom Clark for his inspiration!

I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Congrats on the 3,000th post. And yeah, that looks like good progress to me. I have given up on doing my drawers for now. My shop is mostly torn apart due to the drywall issue. (it's on the floor waiting to go up!). So yeah, I am a little bit jealous here...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Looks good Chop. Ahh...drawers with sliding trays...my favorite. So, you got sneaky and veneered the front with ¼" ply?

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
        Looks good Chop. Ahh...drawers with sliding trays...my favorite. So, you got sneaky and veneered the front with ¼" ply?

Hehe, at $10 a sheet it was cheap cosmetics. Thanks for your advice on the lock miters, very easy to machine!

I really have to think twice on my next shop cabs though:

15/32" cdx sheathing $20 .
        1/4" "veneer" $10
        birch can of shellac $10
        time to stain/face nail $
        ------------------------
        Price ~$40

versus

3/4" uv cat. prefinished 2 sides

Price
        $~42

Making dbhost jealous.... priceless!! sorry Db, just couldn't resist!

Seriously, the uv catalyzed plywood is gauged so it is consistent in thickness throughout.... A very good reason to give it a try on the next cabinets I want to build for the garage.
        Last edited by chopnhack; 12-01-2012, 10:30 PM. Reason: forum autoformating?? table was not spaced

Comment

• thetimbo
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2010

Great work, Chop. How much did you spend on the drawer slides?

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by thetimbo
            Great work, Chop. How much did you spend on the drawer slides?
            Hey Tim, where you been!

The slides are really nice for the price. Very smooth operating and appear strong enough to hold the 100lb rated load. Full extension to boot! I paid $5.85 a pair with free shipping and I sure made out on the shipping, the box weighed in at over 44lbs!! LOL

http://www.cshardware.com/kitchen-an...t=613&price=-6

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Finished installing the other fronts today. One coat of clear shellac to make it easy to clean and some simple pulls from the home store.
              Tomorrow I will see if I can fill it up! I was able to get all my plumbing stuff in one drawer and I am tempted to mix in my electrical parts as well... trying to keep as many drawers free. I guess I will have to play with it and see what works best. There's a fine line between jamming the drawers full and making them easily accessible.

Comment

Working...