Update to previous post (Comments Appreciated)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NewDIYer
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2012
    • Southington, CT
    • Ryobi BT3000

Update to previous post (Comments Appreciated)

There was some very good feedback for my previous post. I have completed an outfeed table for my BT3K.

As luck would have it, I found a 16" x 4' wood at HD ($1) and I had a keyboard stand that was bought 8 years ago but not assembled which is making up my outfeed table stand. (I did look into the foldable legs etc but this will work for me I hope). I landed up using hose clamp screwed down on the outfeed table to hold the table onto the keyboard stand The outfeed table and the stand are easily moveable and table easily detachable to be used as a keyboard stand.

Do I need to coat the table with polyu coating? I am posting picture of my saw and the table. As always, any feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks again for a great forum.

PS - I will build a better outfeed table and stand once I get moving further into my new hobby. List of projects are also piling up!!
    Attached Files
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Only thing I can think of here that may be a problem might be some visual trickery...

It looks like your outfeed table is slightly higher than your SMT. You want it to be slightly lower that way material coming off your saw won't run into the edge of the table...

FWIW, I used BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) and bees wax on my workbench / outfeed table...

What really scares me is that I recognized the keyboard stand right off the bat, and I don't play keys...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Looks like that will work. You might want to make the SMT cutout a little bigger. My first cutout on my outfeed table was a nice tight fit, but I found out that aligning it back again when moved was becoming a pain. I oversized it and now just have to quickly eyeball alignment.

You don't have to finish it, but a finish will probably work out better. I used a couple quick coats of water based poly on my outfeed table (hollow core door), and I just wax it when I do my saw top now. Glue doesn't stick during assemblies if I'm using it and most importantly of all material slides easily across.

You might slightly chamfer all the edges that face the saw too. It will help to prevent material hangups.
      Erik

Comment

• NewDIYer
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2012
        • Southington, CT
        • Ryobi BT3000

Further info..

Thanks for the info thus far.

The outfeed table is about 1/8" lower than the saw. I will chamfer the corner as recommended as well.

The SMT cutout is not too tight and I can easily move the table in place without facing any hang-up.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by NewDIYer
          The SMT cutout is not too tight and I can easily move the table in place without facing any hang-up.
          My first cutout was pretty tight. If I had the table just a 1/4 off the SMT would bind. I also remove my SMT a lot, and getting it back in just the right place was a pain too. If yours works for you, then that's all you need.
          Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Looks good! If you coat it with anything, make sure you coat the underside as well otherwise your plywood might potato chip on you :-)
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Glad to know it was just an optical illusion... Looks like a good solution!
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

some users make the outfeed tables 1/8" lower adn apply a sacrificial surface, like masonite, with double sided tape. when the sacrificial to gets all worn out, peal it off and apply another one.
                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...