• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RDavidP
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2011
    • Maryland

Box for the wife (Anniversary gift)

It has been a very long time since I last posted. Just recently got back into my shop. I just got into box making. My wife said she wanted a little craft box with compartments. So I made her this for our anniversary. This also happens to be my second box I made. The box is made from 1/2" x 4" poplar, and the top and bottom panels are made from 1/4" x 4" poplar edge glued together. I made a completely sealed box, and then used my table saw to cut the top. I set the table saw blade so that it would not cut all the way through. I then used a thin hand saw to finish cutting the thin piece of wood holding the top on. Rasp and file to clean things up. The finish is several coats of Minwax Tung Oil. No stain.

• Daryl
    • May 2004

Well done. She will treasure that.
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• jking
      • May 2003
      • Des Moines, IA.
      • BT3100

It looks nice. Good job.

Comment

• greenacres2
        • Dec 2011
        • La Porte, IN
        • Ryobi BT3000

Nice work...and Happy Anniversary!!

earl

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

the wife will be pleased with a gift of love.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Great looking...well done. I like it when some joinery shows. How did you install the interior dividers?

Comment

• RDavidP
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2011
              • Maryland

The interior dividers are cut just a hair bit smaller than the inner dimensions, so they just slide in butt joint style. The smaller dividers help keep the long middle divider, well, in the middle. The smaller dividers are moveable so you can make the compartments any size.

I think it is interesting how the top panel and the sides seem to take the Minwax oil darker than the front and back, thus when opening the box, the joints really show. It is made from all poplar, and none of the wood had the real green colored wood that you find in poplar.

Comment

• 3thumbs
                Established Member
                • Oct 2008
                • Northern Colorado
                • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

Poplar is agreeable stuff. Nicely done! I'm sure the wife will treasure this work you have done for her.

Comment

Working...