• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Plywood Storage Cart

I finished this up the other day and it has really helped clean the garage. Exciting to see more space in there! So far it has been stable and easy to move around despite being well over 500 lbs. I was able to push it up the driveway fairly easily. I am thinking about adding on a panel cutting grid to this as well...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Looks good... Is the HF ratcheting bar clamp there for a purpose, or is it just to give it somewhere to live?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

The plywood that is on that side decided to potato chip 2 days after buying it so currently the clamp is keeping those pieces against the frame and keeping the 3 sheets of laminate flat against the frame as well.

Comment

• greenacres2
        • Dec 2011
        • La Porte, IN
        • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the picture--i've got a 30" x 72" skid in the garage that i've been looking at since i saw the other thread last week. Yours tells me that the 30" base is wide enough for a "jump start" on plywood cart. Looks like yours is maybe 32" wide??

earl

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

It's actually 24" since I have to store this when finished on one side of the garage and still let vehicles in.

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

niely done. wish i had the room for something like that. but then i'd have to give up the pleasure of continually moving, and tripping over, project materials and scraps.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I see it... Try flipping the sheets around and pulling the center in... I see you are in Florida, so you, like me, live in a Steam box year round anyway... Gonna be hard keeping that plywood from twisting...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
                I see it... Try flipping the sheets around and pulling the center in... I see you are in Florida, so you, like me, live in a Steam box year round anyway... Gonna be hard keeping that plywood from twisting...
                I have a different problem - earthquakes. SWMBO made add a hinged panel to keep the plywood strack from toppling onto her car. It also has a chain fixing the cart to the wall with a caribiner.

I like the little wedges in the bottom to cause the plywood to tilt. Nice detail. And the center storage is a great idea, too. I think you need more screws, though, chipnhack.

JR
                JR

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

You know, I was getting ready to do a build on a different design lumber cart before Chop came up with this one... Now I am in a bit of a quandry... I really like this design... But it sure does look heavy...

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

It may be hard to see JR, but those little wedges actually aided the assembly of the cart. I usually work solo so I needed a way to keep the plywood sides raised while assembling the cart. The wedges capture the plywood between themselves and a sheet laid flat down the center. It was a tight fit and I needed a mallet to persuade some of the cupped areas to untwist. I used a 2x4 temporarily at either end, think gable roof framing. As for the screws... well I sometimes get carried away :P but its just habit, down here roof sheathing is nailed on every 4"-6". I figure there are about 2lbs of screws in the cart.

Dave, its heavy, but its moves well. I was vertically challenged for the area I want to store this in otherwise I may have gone with the 5" casters, but these 4" ones from BORG are great. Very smooth and like I said fully loaded I pushed it up the incline of my driveway by myself and I have a lip between the driveway and garage - probably about 3/8-1/2" - no problem.

The more I look at the cart, the less likely it is that I will be able to mount the panel cutting station to the top... I would have to raise it up sufficiently to clear the outermost upright piece of ply being stored... Gonna have to play with sketchup and make some more room in the garage!

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

Nice job. That should help keep things in place and easily accessible.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks Ed, that's what I am hoping for!

Comment

• wardprobst
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                          • Craftsman 22811

Nice work, I'm gonna have to steal some of your ideas
                          I'll be putting all terrain tires on my version as it has to roll across the yard for loading from the driveway. I'll try to post some pics later.
                          DP
                          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

Working...