Walnut and curly maple inlaid doggie urn.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Walnut and curly maple inlaid doggie urn.

This has got to be the absolute hardest project I have ever worked on. Not because of the technical details of building this urn, but because of who it is for. As you know, I lost my lab last May. He was with me through thick and thin, and was a great blessing through some of the hardest periods of my life. Losing him was like losing a child to me. If you've never had that special pet in your life, you probably think I'm nuts, but those that have been similarly blessed know what I am talking about.

The urn is 12" x 6" x 5" tall, made from Black Wallnut that was harvested in upstate New York during some farm land work (walnuts out, something else in...), and shipped to Texas by the fellow I bought it from. The curly maple doesn't have that cool of a story... Finish is BLO with 3 coats of brush on lacquer that has been sanded to 400 grit and buffed to a mirror shine between each coat. The photos don't come close to doing it justice...

The dog bone inlay is my first successful inlay task and I am fairly pleased with the result. I haven't mounted the tags yet, but the last license, and a memorial tag we had made will be mounted in the dog bone so it will have 2 dog bones inside the dog bone.

I hope I did Deacon justice with this... He is missed...

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Beautiful piece and a fitting memorial for your friend.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Beautiful work of love, Dave.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Wowza! Amazing inlay work man! And dovetails too! Hats off! (Now I'm wishing for in-progess pics - all that looks exquisite!)

The effort you have put in this tells me Deacon got all the love in the world while he lived, and he must have gone happy. This tribute is just the cherry on top. We grieve with you.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• Shep
          • Nov 2008
          • Columbus, OH
          • Hitachi C10FL

Dave, great work. You did your dog justice.
          -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

A fitting box for the occasion! You did a great job Dave. Your choice of materials is superb.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Beautiful urn, Dave. And a great memorial for your friend. I'm particularly impressed with the dovetail work as well as the inlay.
              Richard

Comment

• schloff
                Established Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Southern Middle TN
                • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

DB,
                I really like the urn. something about maple and walnut together, always looks good.

I have had to build four of them so far. They're never easy, because you know what you're working towards. A tip for you, if you'll oblige me. Rest his collar across the top of his urn. My wife did this on ours, and it really helps as a reminder. every time I walk by, the collars are so visible and bring be back to when I could reach out and scratch their ears.

There is nothing harder than losing your best friend, but you have done a great service to him with this final piece. He deserves it. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Great work on the project for a great friend.
                  Turaj (in Toronto)
                  "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

That's a fitting tribute DB, I am sure he will never be forgotten.
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...