The hardest project for me to complete...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

The hardest project for me to complete...

I just put the second coat on, and I am not sure I can bring myself to post photos of this particular project...

As you may recall, our 14 year old Labrador Retriever passed away last May, and while the new shop dog is great, and is loved deeply, I can never get over the thought that maybe there was something more I could have done... I know a bit irrational, but he was my truest friend for 12 years (I adopted him as an adult dog, not a puppy...).

Well tonight, I finally attached the base, and applied 2 coats of danish oil to his urn. You see the urn I got back from the vet is just a cheap. POS pine box that doesn't do Deacon any justice. So I have been taking my own sweet time, making absolutely certain every detail is dead on right. It's a Black Walnut and slightly spalted curly maple box shaped urn, with dovetailed corners, and a dog bone inlay with a custom engraved stainless steel dog bone name tag affixed to the top. I will affix his last name tag, as well as his last dog license to the urn, but I am having some difficulty finishing up the last few bits... Specifically taking the tags off the collar, and thinking about popping open the urn he is in now...

Kind of dumb I know, but I guess since I haven't been blessed with children, well... he was as close as I had gotten...

I've got to knuckle down when the oil dries and get some urethane on it, then I can do the final move...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Dal300
    Banned
    • Aug 2011
    • East Central Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Take your time... grieving is a process and it can't be hurried.
    You not only had a loyal friend that loved you, but you were a loyal friend that loved him.
    My thoughts are with you because I know the hurt and loss you are experiencing.

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I know how you feel. Our two Malamutes passed this summer. Not a day goes by that I don't miss them. What a fitting final resting place for a dear companion. Keep him alive by remembering the good times!

Gerd

Comment

• toolbelt diva
        Established Member
        • Oct 2004
        • Houston, TX, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

It sounds beautiful and perfect for your beloved friend.
        Rita

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Nothing dumb about it. I have kids and sometimes prefer the company of my dog.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

Working...