• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Been a while...spinning wheel

It has been a long time since I've been to this forum, I just have not had time honestly, for the forum or the shop, sadly.

I did get in there today to make this for my company, they are doing a game at the Christmas party that needed a nice way to determine chance. The plan is to paint it with white board paint so that it can be used for a variety of things in the future.

It was fun to do a quick project, I've been slowly building cabinets for our kitchen for about 2 years. It's sad how little shop time you have when you have 2 jobs going and a 3 year old.

Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Hey Keith, good to see you're still around. I can empathize about the work and kids thing except I've got one job and 2 kids under 2. Why else would either of us be up posting this early?

I like practical projects like these. How is the wheel mounted to the base so it's not all wobbly when spun? What is the material for the spring mechanism? Sheet metal? I could see myself building one of these someday,

Paul

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by drumpriest
      It was fun to do a quick project,
      Sometimes those are needed just to get some relaxation time. Looks like this one turned out well.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• jking
        • May 2003
        • Des Moines, IA.
        • BT3100

It's good to see you back.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Great to hear from you again! Great looking project you have there!
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

Thanks all, good to be in the shop occasionally, wish it were more often.

Paul, the wheel has a 1/4" shelf pin sleeve glued into the center and is attached to a lag bolt, the kind with a smooth bit and threads only towards the end. The bolt is run through the main post which is 2 3/4" ply bits laminated together and pegged, then pocket screwed to the base and reinforced.

The main post has a small section of 1/4" ply glued on additionally as a spacer where the wheel is mounted, then a fender washer, then the wheel, a fender washer again (not shown in this photo) and then 2 1/4" nuts. Snug up the first one by hand, put some lock tight on the thread then put on the 2nd nut snug by hand, then 2 wrenches and tighten them against each other. It runs pretty darn true.

The flapper at the bottom is simply a couple of pieces of plastic from a Qdoba take out pan glued together and then clamped there into place. The right hand side is glued/screwed into position and the left hand side floats and is bolted to the right creating a clamp.

It has a nice satisfying click click click when spun. I delivered it today to work and spent most of the day answering questions, everyone is really excited about it.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• wardprobst
              • Jan 2006
              • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
              • Craftsman 22811

Keith,
              Good to see you again, I can certainly empathize with you on time for the forum. As you can see from my post count, I mostly lurk but I've really enjoyed your posts over the years.
              DP
              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Turned out well Keith. Post everyone once in awhile to keep in touch
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...