• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Posting up an old project...

Scrap wood Kitty Condo. Built from blow down 4x4s, 2x4s, and 3/4" ply from Hurricane Rita Damage. The photos were taken after one of the legs was re-wrapped due to cat wear. (She loves this thing). I completed this project early on in my time here at BT3Central.

It's not straight as the 4x4 has continued to warp over the last few years, and the middle shelf is off kilter (I noticed my measurements were off and decided if the cat didn't care, neither did I...)

This was a fun project. The top tier is well padded, and the fabric covering it is sort of a soft, fuzzy blanket stuff, that kitty loves laying on. The legs and all uprights are wrapped in 3/8" sisal rope, that is pinned and hot glued in place. I used headless pins to insure she doesn't catch a claw while scratching it. The carpet used was a throw out remnant from a flooring contractor in my area...

The wood work on this was the quick and easy part. And even upholstering it in carpet was fine. Wrapping that much sisal good and tight was a fairly painful process, and I ended up using an old pair of riding gloves to protect my hands while doing that work...

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

Nice work, bet kitty loves it.
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Dal300
      Banned
      • Aug 2011
      • East Central Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

My wife and myself are owned by five kitty kids.... we know how important this is to the infrastructure of a well functioning feline government!

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

I've noticed the carpet covering a post on one of ours is getting pretty badly torn up. Sisal rope is probably a bit more durable than carpet and I'm going to try that when it's time to repair.

We have places all over the house for the cats (2) to scratch. It's the only way to save everything else. For the most part, ours have figure out where to sharpen their claws...and where not to.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

We have three cats that have been bugging me to make one of the tree type perches. I've wrapped a piece of wood with sisal rope that doesn't last more than a couple of weeks. By that time it just looks like a head of hair. In any case, it's cheaper than new furniture.

Comment

Working...