• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Nothing Stellar, But At least Some Shop Time

I have been getting to eat a bit of sawdust over the last week or so. Didn't produce anything really noteworthy, just a couple of small needed items.

Never had anyplace to hang clothes out of the dryer in the laundry room. A bit of design on the fly solved that. The metal over-the-door hangar was from a neck traction unit I got from the VA several years ago. The wall mount is simply 2 pieces of Maple, notched top and back to hold the hangar, with a single key hole slot near the top. The screw is driven directly into a stud.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clothes Hangar Front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	797207

Name:	Clothes Hangar Side.jpg
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	797208

A while back I built a free standing shelf to go in the end of the hall. The depth of the shelves were blocking the boss's power chair from getting into the front room so she had it moved to the living room. The clock that was on the top shelf also serves as a night light, so she asked for a simple wall mounted shelf.

I used some Cherry cut offs from a previous project to fit the bill. I almost cut it too small, er....., I mean, I designed it to be a near perfect fit for the clock. It is unfinished at this point. I have some gel varnish ordered to try on it. The wife decided against having me stain it.

The brackets are tenioned and glued into stopped dados and it is mounted to the wall with screws in key hole slots.

Name:	Hall Shelf 2.jpg
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	797209

Name:	Hall Shelf 1.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	797210

Next, my neighbor's 8' trailer has a slide in tailgate. The tailgate is usually a rough cut chunk of plywood that gets replaced when it falls apart. Talking to him one day and seeing the latest version, I decided to build him a more permanent tailgate. Simple 2x4 frame with a plywood insert. Didn't take pics of it.

I also made a replacement back slat for a rocking chair in the nursery at their church. After I get the chair and replace the broken slat I will post a pic.

One final project is posted in 'tool talk'.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Hey Don,

I think that's pretty cool.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Nice use of a neck traction unit. And that near perfect fit of the shelf was making good use of the brain.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Shop time well spent Don. Nice pieces - and even the small projects can be extremely satisfying.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

I like the purpose built projects. Small projects can be just as rewarding as the big ones.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Clothes rack

Just thought I'd post a simple clothes rack i built many years ago for the laundry room. Doesn't look as nice as Pappys but its built with very simple hardware you can get at the any hardware store.

Very simple, uses a 1.5" closet rod, a closet rod hanger plastic thingy, and a hook and a screw eye. Probably best to keep the rod under 2 ft, its a very good lever and force multiplier esp. if your wife wants to hang everything at the far end!

You can see from the pictures how it works. the screw eye can be screwed in or out more to control the angle of the rod. To store this out of the way, just lift the far end of the rod and unhook it, then reverse the hook to put the hook thru the eye with the rod pointing down and its out of the way. The hook eye should be a little stouter than the one I got, but it has lasted 17 years so far.

I put a extra 1/4" dowel piece on the top end of the closet rod to keep any hangers from sliding off.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-03-2010, 11:37 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lrogers
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Mobile, AL. USA.
              • BT3000

"Little Projects" have their place and are very useful too. Good for stress relief.
              Larry R. Rogers
              The Samurai Wood Butcher
              http://splash54.multiply.com
              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

Working...