• Show
Clear All
  • themachine
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Cincinnati, OH
    • BT3100, General Intl. 220

Functions as a Printer Stand

I plan on using this stand as a printer desk, as most printers lately do not need any mysterious compartments for tractor feed paper or extensive computer connections. The top is about 22 inches deep by 28 inches wide. The wood (maple for the draw fronts and cherry for everything else) was all obtained from trees on my property downed in a windstorm two years ago and sawn on site. It is more or less my own design, with some copying or incorporation of design elements from other pieces I have seen. For instance, the legs are rounded on two sides so that the cross section looks like a rounded diamond shape - this is from Michael Fortune. The main cabinet section floats within the legs and is held in place by stretchers running front to back from the rails. They are hard to see when looking at the stand when standing so the cabinet appears to be floating. Likewise, the top is not attached to the legs but instead is attached to the top side of the stretchers holding up the cabninet at the top. The lattice sides do not touch the cabinet. Drawers are on standard full extension slides and consist of through dovetail sides and front/backs with false fronts of curly/wild maple. I did not know the maple would have such interesting figure until I planed it. The cherry was first coated with shellac and then I applied a gel stain called mission cherry by General Finishes. This was finished with precatalyzed lacquer. I have tried to provide enough pictures to show some of the structure, but they are not the best. This took about 40 hours with the help of a friend along the way. I contemplated some inlay or other decorative elements, but thought the wood was so pretty I couldn't improve on it.
    Attached Files
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Originally posted by themachine
    It is more or less my own design, with some copying or incorporation of design elements from other pieces I have seen.
    That's not copying—that's research!

I like the contrast of the two woods, and I think you made the right decision; inlay would only distract the eye from the lovely maple figure.

I especially like the top and sides; they appear to float separate from the rest of the case, giving the whole piece a light, airy look. (Do I sound like an art nerd yet? )

Well done!

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Interesting design. Adding inlays wasn't needed. The wood, especially the Maple drawer faces, provided it's own pattern that would be hard to improve on.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Larryl
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Lorena, TX, USA.
        • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

I agree with the first two posters you don't need inlay as the contrast of the maple and cherry is beautiful. The design is very inovative and the jointery looks outstanding. A piece you will be proud of no matter how you will use it.
        I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

One word can describe your piece of art:

WOW! Agree with others about no need for inlays. And the legs are really interesting in design. Totally unique. Great work of art.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

wow!!! that is one beautiful piece of furniture and as mentioned by other, no need for inlays, that piece is unique in its own way....the floating idea was amazing....looking at it at first i thought the top moved, but after reading what you said, i have to say, amazing work!!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I like that style.
              Looks great, in execution and finish.
              The drawers will come in handy; you still need them for packages of paper of different kinds, and cartridges, even though a paper feed slot is no longer needed.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

A beautiful piece. I love the floating look with the open sides. Entirely too nice for a printer stand!
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Very cool design and execution. Thanks for the larger sized pics. The floating design is very cool on it's own. The curves on the leg faces, tapers and top edges really add to the unique look.

How did you do the curves on the leg faces? Did you mortise the stretchers?
                  For the build; did you make the drawer box then build the frame around it, or did you cut everything to high tolerances according to your plans? The spacing around the interior box looks very consistent, and the drawer fronts look to have some tight tolerances too.

How is one going to dust the top of the interior drawer box?
                  Erik

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                    How is one going to dust the top of the interior drawer box?
                    We're men—we don't dust! Just hit it once a year with a power washer.

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

If I made something that nice and elegant as a printer stand, LOML would take it away and put it in the living room! Or, one of my daughters would claim it, and I have a hard time saying "no" to any of them.

BEAUTIFUL Work!
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

That's a pretty piece of work. Beautiful job!

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

Beautiful and inspiring, both in design and choice of woods.
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Shep
                            • Nov 2008
                            • Columbus, OH
                            • Hitachi C10FL

Very nice. At first look the piece gives off a zen feel. Love the floating look.
                            -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• themachine
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2006
                              • Cincinnati, OH
                              • BT3100, General Intl. 220

To answer Erik's questions, the legs started out as square stock. Then I ran two adjacent sides through the table saw with the saw set at about 30 degrees, making sure not to remove the original corner between them. You do not remove much material. Then a few swipes with a plane and a flexible card scraper and you get rounded sides. The stretchers are mortised into the front and back rails. The carcass was built first and the box was finalized in size after the carcass was glued up. Likewise, the drawer dividers and drawers were built before the drawer fronts were trimmed to final size. You do have to pay attention because there are some parts that fit very closely to others.

Comment

Working...