• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Well, not exactly finished...

...still trying to decide on pulls for the four drawers. It's a wedding gift for my niece.

Cherry, no stain, finished with General Finishes oil-based poly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Monicas clock.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	797157
    JR
  • Shep
    • Nov 2008
    • Columbus, OH
    • Hitachi C10FL

That looks amazing. I really like the curved top. I guessing you cut out the curve on a bandsaw? If all that needs done is drawer pulls, I would call that finished in my book.
    -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

That's really nice. Please share construction details for that curved top.
      Splined together and roughed out on the bandsaw? How'd you clean up the
      inside curve? Oh to have a large spindle and edge belt sander.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Looks great!
        I know you didn't ask.....
        For pulls I would use little black spherical porcelain knobs centered on each drawer. Brass I think would be too much and distract from the wood.

Bill
        the nice thing about an opinion is it can be neither right nor wrong, unless of course it's about politics or religion.....

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

The top is "coopered" by joining four pieces cut at 22.5 degrees on each end. I used biscuits to join them. The top assembly is placed in a jig that has stops on both ends to keep it from splaying out while it is clamped down.

Then, as has been guessed, it is rough sawn on both inside and outside on the BS, followed by copious amounts of sanding on my Ridgid OS/BS. Finally the sides are joined to the top with biscuits, creating a free-standing arch.

All the parts for the case are cut from a single 6/4 board. The idea is to get continuous grain from the bottom on one side, through the top to the other side. The trick is to figure out how to get the curved top pieces to match the sides, which have been milled to 3/4". I'll see if I can get a pic of the top grain - it has an interesting effect.

edit: here's a not-very-clear pic of the top, but it gets the idea accross. The grain looked pretty straight on the rough board, but because it crossed through the board at an angle the "loops" appeared once it was cut.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	785458

JR
          Last edited by JR; 10-25-2010, 01:23 PM.
          JR

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
            For pulls I would use little black spherical porcelain knobs centered on each drawer. Brass I think would be too much and distract from the wood.
            Easier said than done! I'd like black, too, as it would match their furniture, but finding nice ones in 3/8" or 1/2" is proving to be difficult.

JR
            JR

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

Originally posted by JR
              Easier said than done! I'd like black, too, as it would match their furniture, but finding nice ones in 3/8" or 1/2" is proving to be difficult.

JR
              Not the same but you could always use black lacquer on brass. Woodcraft has these. You could also us a black bead and a brass pan head screw.

Bill
              consultant: doesn't know how it's done but can tell you how you should to do it....

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

That's a really nice piece of workmanship. It will be cherished for years.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

It looks great. Nicely done. I'd like to see very small wood knobs, ½" to ¾" in diameter. Maybe just one centered on each drawer, or two on a drawer separated. If you have a lathe...make them from the same wood.

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

First, beautiful work and joinery! I am sure they will treasure it. As long as we are voting, I am going to dissent and suggest brass, small knobs for pulls. I think the brass will bring more life to the front: it will meld better with the color of the wood and match the minor parts of the movement.
                    Great work
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i like cabman's idea, that was what I was thinking, too, why not delicate wood knobs for a wood clock/chest? I was thinking along the lines of a single or dual petite knob, like Cabman suggests - maybe a 3/8" dowel of matching wood about a half inch long and perhaps with a delicate groove around the circumference just back from the end.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

I like the black nickel knobs I used on red oak furniture. I think they might look nice on this too.

Jim

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

Thanks for all the great ideas on the knobs.

I've been sharpening my lathe tools over the last few days, so that option has some appeal. The black nickel comports with LOML's idea, so that is currently at the top of the list - if I could find nice ones. They need to be small, probably maximum of 1/2". Their furniture is black, so I'm strongly leaning in that direction.

I have some brass knobs as a fall back, but don't like them at all.

I have a couple of weeks to nail it down.

JR
                          JR

Comment

• 4estgump
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
                            • Ryobi BT3000

JR That is a very very nice project. I love the way you matched the grain. I love wood, and if it were me. I would make my own wood draw pulls. To me store bought knobs would take away the beauty of the clock. I always try to make my own knobs, handles, etc. As i said before very beautiful. Great Job.
                            4est

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

Beautiful! The continuous grain and the 'loop' effect that came out in the curved top provide interesting visual effects.
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...