• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

ShopNotes #17 adjustable sawhorses

Well, they are not quite done, but at this point they qualify as sawhorses. I just need to make the adjustable portion and they will be fully constructed. They are made from SYP construction grade 2x and 1x pine from BORG/Lowes. I first cut the lumber to size on the scms, leaving about .75-1.25" extra length for later squaring and clean up. Next it was over to the jointer for some lessons in jointing followed by straight line ripping at the t.s., back to the jointer for truing of the face perpendicular to the sides and then to the planer to make opposite side parallel. The wood was left for a few days and when I returned I had to clean up a little bit from the movement. Started cutting the joinery (first joint was done neanderthal style, but considering that it would take me forever I went to the t.s. and got it done quick! Glue and screws were next and now waiting on another day off to complete.

I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Looks good. I thought about making them too, but I have a pair of knock down horses I made several years ago. I can use the room more than the adjustability. They do look very much like they'll get a lot of use from you.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks Ed, and quite right, I have always needed some form of outfeed support on the t.s., drill press and just a pair of horses for breaking down ply, these horses being adjustable will save me shop space and allow me to do all of the above.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Look good, Chop.

I need to build new ones but, like Ed, I don't have the room for those. Somewhere I have a Workbench with some sawhorse plans I liked. Still not at the top of the priority list, though.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

I don't know if you know this Pappy, but the legs are held on with a 5/16" bolt, t-nut and plastic handle, the two legs come off and stow inside the lower tray when you want to put them away. That is one of the reasons I am building them. I know its not in the pic, but as soon as they are completely finished I will update with new photos.

Comment

• aiyou
            SawdustZone Patron
            • Mar 2006
            • Charlotte, NC
            • BT3100

I could really use something like these. I like the fact that they can break down. Is there someplace to get the plans? I tried ShopNotes, found a link to the project, but then couldn't find any other means to purchase the plans.

Rob

Comment

• jaybee
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Regina, SK, Canada
              • BT3100-1

You might want to look at this variation:

Expert woodworking tips, techniques, inspiration and more for woodworkers of any skill level.

No real instructions but a cut list and materials list pdf.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Looks like a great start. What will be the minimum and maximum heights?

Comment

• 3thumbs
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • Northern Colorado
                  • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

Good job! I am really proud of my projects that fit nicely and look cool. You have done both.
                  DM

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Rob, its a really old issue. You might be able to find it at a better library or by calling shopnotes. The plans are fairly simple, but this is only the second item in woodworking that I have built from other's plans. I find it fun to be able to just look at something and follow instructions instead of my usual down to the detail and think it out drawings - I used to spend more time with a pencil in hand then in the shop cutting! The plans on this one are a must unless you really visualize well because there are numerous parts..

Originally posted by aiyou
                    I could really use something like these. I like the fact that they can break down. Is there someplace to get the plans? I tried ShopNotes, found a link to the project, but then couldn't find any other means to purchase the plans.
                    Rob
                    Thanks DM, I made sure to watch the grain and looked for the "smile" to align my joinery so that if cupping takes place it squeezes harder against the joint.

Cman, when the other parts are done, it will adjust from about 30" - 45", very suitable for t.s., b.s., d.p., planer, jointer and extra aid for long items off of workbench.

This morning I had little time, but I installed the bolts that allow the feet to detach. Starting on making wooden t-nut handles, didn't have any plastic ones on hand.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i keep waiting and looking to see the adjustable part... I'm sure you'll post it when done? or maybe a peek at the finished pic from the hard to find plans?
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Of course Loring, not much was accomplished today....under the weather. But I am no stranger to taking photos for this site

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

The horses are done. Loring, the sliding mechanism is accomplished via 1/4" hardboard fastened down the middle of the stationary portion of the horse. A dado is cut into the side pieces of the movable section of the horse before attaching it to the top piece. There are no wingnuts yet, I was thinking of fashioning them from wood and putting either a t-nut or a hex nut inside the wood to use as the locking handle. The second pic is of the unit broken down for storage. Thanks for looking.
                          [IMG][/IMG]
                          [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• pelligrini
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • Fort Worth, TX
                            • Craftsman 21829

Looks cool.

I first used some smaller star knobs on the sliding dovetail legs I've got on my knockdown outfeed table. I swapped them out for some t-knobs. The longer shaped knob makes it a lot easier to get properly tightened and loosened.
                            Last edited by pelligrini; 10-26-2010, 01:17 PM.
                            Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

ah so that's how it goes.

Wonder how many pound load the wing nuts will hold before the top starts slipping down...

Star knobs or something with larger diameter will allow you to torque the bolt tighter but friction is still the only thing holding the support up. Maybe some self adhesive sandpaper between the sliding side pieces under the knob location will provide more friction.

And if you have a favorite positions you use a lot, drill a hole thru both side pieces and push a dowel through.
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-26-2010, 01:25 PM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...