• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

New Local restaurant now open

My latest project, a new backyard squirrel feeder, officially named the Keg Inn. The cedar is from a neighbors porch remodel and the Heineken keg is from another neighbors retirement party. The 5 liter keg holds about 6 lbs. of squirrel munchies. The roof is about 21" square and the base is 18" in diameter. The 6 ft. tall cedar tree stump it's mounted on is from about 3 ft to the NW of it's new location. It is clearly visible from my chair where I'm writing this but I doubt I'll see my first customer til morning.

Thanks for looking

Chas
    Attached Files
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

If there is no Heiny there, then you are guilty of false advertising... Cruelty to animals, that's what it is...

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

you'll be sorry you started feeding the tree rats.

I made one of thiose squirrel feeders that has an entrance to a glass 1 gallon jar where you put the corn, you can see them feed. They peed all over the inside of the jar - the most disgusting thing to have to clean out before i could refill it.
      Later they raped the bird feeders (physically desctroyed them getting to the feed and prevented the birds from feeding) and ate my wifes flowers or dug up the flower plants from her garden.
      They chew all the branches off the oak trees around their nests leaving gaps in the foliage.
      I think they've worn out their welcome here.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-16-2010, 11:33 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Nice work on the feeder. But, squirrels are just a nuisance. I had to modify bird feeders from the squirrels. They went to great lengths (and jumps) getting to the food.

Comment

• cobob
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Rolla, MO, USA.
          • BT3100

rumor has it that birds have no receptors to Capsaicin (spelled wrong I'm sure) which is the heat in hot peppers. Add cayenne (speled rong I'm sur) to the bird feed ... doesn't bother the birds & gives the tree rats what they deserve. I tried it. found one squirrel dead at the base of the feeder & another happily eating the feed in the feeder... illegal migrant squirrel I'm sure...likes the heat.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

Nice feeder although around here I would have to beat the neighbours away from it(LOL).

My FIL modded his feed last year. The buggers learned they could take a really long jump from the tree and land on top of the feeder. FIL rigged some aluminum sheet over the top so it would flex and spring back. It was great fun to watch the squirrels trampoline off the top and land in the snow.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...