• Show
Clear All
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

Belay That!!

I belong to a yacht club in upstate NY. It is a working club so all members are expected to contribute time for the upkeep of the club. Normally I'm on "grounds" so I get to rake leaves and pick up garbage for my hours. When they mentioned they needed some new belay pins for the flag pole, I offered up my services on the lathe.

Then while dropping off some snow felled branches at the village yard-rubbish dump (where they mulch everything into little chips) I saw some 4 foot logs of white oak. I asked if I could take a few pieces and they guy said "You can take it all" pointing to the huge mounds of mulched up stuff. He helped me load it into my trailer (just the oak) cause it weighed about 150-200 lbs.

I first chainsawed the log to about the right length. Split the oak by hand, band sawed it into semi-roundish pieces and slapped it on the lathe. This oak was a standing tree maybe a week ago so it was a little green still. It was a joy to work with and 6 belay pins later I had about 12 hours into the job.

Sanded down to 150 and finished them with Clear Shield and then some clear enamel spray. They look and feel great. The handle is 7" and they are 16" overall with a 1" shaft.

I wish my sailboat needed belay pins but it's about 150 years too new for those Oh well.

Enjoy,
    Bill
    Attached Files
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Pretty cool! I like seeing a rough piece of wood turned into something useful.

I've been involved in our dart association for many years now. Quite a few of my woodworking projects end up going for things in that volunteer organization.
    Erik

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Beautiful! Looks much better than mulch.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

Well done Bill, you get an extra mug of grog for that.
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Nicely done, Bill!

I'm envious of your found white oak. Let's see some quartersawn craftsman furniture next!

JR
          JR

Comment

• Shep
            • Nov 2008
            • Columbus, OH
            • Hitachi C10FL

Very nice indeed
            -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

beautiful belaying pins. Do they use them to terminate lines or are they used to keep members in line (do it now or i'll bop you with this belaying pin...Arrrhhhh! [pirate sound])

Wiki:
              Belaying pins were apparently commonly used as improvised weapons (as well as a method of discipline) on both military and civilian ships. Certainly their shape and weight would make a formidable short-range club.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bmyers
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2003
                • Fishkill, NY
                • bt 3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                beautiful belaying pins. Do they use them to terminate lines or are they used to keep members in line (do it now or i'll bop you with this belaying pin...Arrrhhhh! [pirate sound])

Wiki:
                Belaying pins were apparently commonly used as improvised weapons (as well as a method of discipline) on both military and civilian ships. Certainly their shape and weight would make a formidable short-range club.

As with most things on a boat, belay pins serve a dual purpose. The are very substantial and I sure wouldn't want to get thumped by one. Plus they are pretty handy when securing a line.

Here is were these will live out their mulch free lives now. Overlooking the Hudson River just north of West Point Academy.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Bill
                Attached Files
                "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Those look amazing, great work on them! So do you get 12+ hours off of duty at the club for making those? But seriously, are you not worried that they will shrink on you though since they were green?
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• lrogers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Mobile, AL. USA.
                    • BT3000

Those look great, ship shape & Bristol fashion!
                    Larry R. Rogers
                    The Samurai Wood Butcher
                    http://splash54.multiply.com
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

Working...