X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoover
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • USA.

Great job on the resto-mod!!. That table was probably made in the 1920s, part of the "Golden Oak" style of furniture.
    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Sweet work Jon! That table looks awesome!! How long did it take you to strip down the finish and what did you use? How long did the entire project take? Again, great job
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Kristofor
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by poolhound
        Gets delivered at 4pm today and I get a check Although it looks like its already earmarked to have our furniture cleaned (no new tools)
        Either you have a ton of furniture or you underpriced your work. It looks like you did a bang up job!

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Extremely well done Jon. You did well with the original water damaged spot and it is barely noticed. Water stain can penetrate really deep. I had a piece of QSWO that got wet not long ago and even taking 1/4" off the stock with my planer did not clear the depth of that stain. I just discarded the piece into a utility pile to use for test cuts.. etc. I can certainly understand the centimental value and would have wanted to save the piece also.

Again... well done!

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Here it is in situ. They were happy and they actually gave me more than I asked so maybe there are some new tools in my future :-)
            Attached Files
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
              Extremely well done Jon. You did well with the original water damaged spot and it is barely noticed. Water stain can penetrate really deep. I had a piece of QSWO that got wet not long ago and even taking 1/4" off the stock with my planer did not clear the depth of that stain.
              I think that would have been the case here also. A darker stain would have allowed for more blending but it adds "character."

Originally posted by chopnhack
              Sweet work Jon! That table looks awesome!! How long did it take you to strip down the finish and what did you use? How long did the entire project take? Again, great job
              Drum sander for the top (you gotta love them) and belt sander with some hand sanding on the feet. The actually work was about three weekends and then two weeks (elpased) for finishing.

Originally posted by Kristofor
              Either you have a ton of furniture or you underpriced your work. It looks like you did a bang up job!
              Maybe a bit of both. I will have some left over but let me say that the cleaning will be $800+
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Nice job!

You ought to try to get some tool specific jobs where you have to have the tool before doing the work. Then payment can't be squandered on other things, like necessities.
                Erik

Comment

• lrogers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Mobile, AL. USA.
                  • BT3000

Excellent job! I think you did a great job on the entire table, but especially with the water stain.
                  Larry R. Rogers
                  The Samurai Wood Butcher
                  http://splash54.multiply.com
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                    Nice job!

You ought to try to get some tool specific jobs where you have to have the tool before doing the work. Then payment can't be squandered on other things, like necessities.
                    Now that is strategic thinking. However, how do I find a job that needs a whole new dedicated workshop
                    Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...