This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SARGE..g-47

Crochet Lamp-Table...

My wife was working off a tiny table which in essence is her multi-purpose work-bench. Her chair sits at a diagonal to a fire-place hearth which leaves a gap for the table of a osoceles trapezoid. The table must have light.. room for a box of tissues.. letters for bills to be paid and mailed.. a portable phone.. TV changers.. crochet needles and of course a cup of coffee. Doesn't leave much space.

Her table runneth over to say the least as evidenced in the first picture of the one that is being replaced. A faulty move and the tissue box and letters end up on the floor which I have seen happen many times. So... how to use the limited space to gain a few more square inches in an attempt to serve all her needs in such a limited and odd shaped area?

QSWO... quad-linear legs with QS fleck on all four sides.. ebony pins in bottom shelves to pin non through tenons. The bottom shelves and legs are made of left overs that I culled in other projects. The top is primo I selected as when the bottom shelves are full of pattern books on the bottom and scans of yarn in the middle little will be seen of the bottom. I kept the base retangular but did an osoceles trapezoid on the top to gain a few square inches.

A plain straight-forward design as I wanted to keep it simple as the majority will be covered as it see's heavy use. I made a few do-dads for the TV changers and letters to avoid the many spills that have happened. There is a drop hole to make sure the tissue box doesn't slide off again. Not a difficult or fancy build but.. one that was well needed. Very well needed IMO.....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2010, 06:39 PM.
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Sarge,

That table is terrific. I love the lamp location. Quite a lot of space saved there. I expect she will love it.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• phi1l
      • Oct 2009
      • Madison, WI

Great job. .. but you forgot the cup holder

Comment

• bigstick509
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Macomb, MI, USA.
        • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

As always, Sarge, it's a definite winner. BTW, those TV changer thingies are called remotes.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks guys... I just brought it up after dinner so it is in it's functional setting.

Steve.... thanks.. "Expect she will love it".. Oh yeah.... she has already taken command of the TV changer thingy's and is crocheting away as the flat screen does it's thing.. an all with a big on her face. And finding that lamp fixture at a flea market for $6 did save a ton of space and gets light where it needs to be much more efficiently.

Phi1l.... thanks... Haven't found a cup holder tacky enough yet to grace the table. Will probably come out of the shop long enough tomorrow to hit the $Dollar$ Store as I am sure I can find one there.

Thanks Bigstick...

Thanks Ed.. Remote, huh.... ? I am not too far advanced in the new electronic world and have always called them TV changer thingy's. Now that I know I am going to impress my young neice and nephew with that knowledge when we get together next week-end as they are electronic whiz's as most teens these days.

Again thanks guys...

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by Ed62
              As always, Sarge, it's a definite winner. BTW, those TV changer thingies are called remotes.

Ed

I agree, it's a winner if it makes the lady happy. I call those remotes...clickers.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

That's pretty sharp looking. Love the grain on the top. Your photography skills really help to show off the piece.

How'd you handle the cord for the lamp? Is it just hanging or did you conceal it in a leg? Nice match on the flea market fixture. It works well with the piece. Straight lines with a little curve matching the large curving flecks in the top.

How do the shelves attach to the stretchers? Do they fit into stopped dadoes on the stretcher?
                Erik

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Beautiful table Sarge. Always love the QSWO, and your finish really shows it off.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  I call those remotes...clickers.
                  Mike, my wife calls 'em the same. Funny, cause they don't make a sound..
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks for the kind words Cabinetman.. Pelligrini and Bill...

The cord originates at the base of the lamp pole of course Pelligrini. I simply wrapped it around the corner to the back side next to the fireplace and dropped it down the leg to the floor where there is a carpet seam butting the fire-place hearth. You can't see it from the front when the table is loaded.

In the case of the picture I twist wrapped the cord underneath and duct taped it up. Then made sure I chose angles that it would not show in the photo. In other words I photo cheated ya with an illustion. And yeah... the shelves are attached with stopped dadoes to the side to side stretchers. I allowed an 1/8" on each side short of leg for expansion. QSWO on a piece that size sealed will normaly move no more than about 3/16" seasonally from my experience using it.

Again... thanks to all who have commented.. gotta go install a winshield so catch ya latter...

Comment

• lrogers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mobile, AL. USA.
                      • BT3000

Wow, how cool is that? You took the problem(s) and engineered a great solution. If that doesn't get the "new tool budget" increased, nothing will.
                      Larry R. Rogers
                      The Samurai Wood Butcher
                      http://splash54.multiply.com
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks Larry.. I can't get to enthusiastic over a new tool I might get at this point Larry. My shop was pretty much complete years ago and I have up-graded HP in some cases and size in others but.. even that was complete over two years ago now. I new fresh glue as I buy by the quart.. sand-paper runs low.. a new router bit to replace a worn out but......

Can't get too excited about those things even though I do need a new engineer square. I misplace mine which is odd and it's somewhere in the two shops but.. I can't find it with extensive searchs. I am sure once I pick up a new cheapie.. the old one will show it's head. The story of my life!

Again.. much thanks to everyone who has commented...

Comment

• jussi
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007

Nice work as usual Sarge.

Is that your finishing room with the sheet background?
                          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

to me, that's what building your own furniture is about - adding the details and needs for your purposes and fitting the space available - custom tailored.
                            Good piece.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks Jussi and Loring..

Jussi.. I suppose you might give it the monikor of finishing room but.. you would have to add main machine shop.. hand tool shop.. assembly.. etc... My shop is a drive under two car garage with a concrete poured half basement. I have full access to the garage and 90% access to the 1/2 basement. The basement has wood racks.. large assembly tables with a row of 48" Cabinet-masters set up on top.. my jointer.. industrial mortiser.. spindle sander.. belt-disc sander.. scroll saw.. grinder all on mobile bases reside there until I need them to roll up to the cut shop.

I filled the house with custom furniture so I ran out of room to shoot a picture there. The half basement center is filled with machines and wood rack.. ladders.. garden tools.. paint supplies.. etc. are hung on walls. Mowers.. pressure washer.. etc. take a corner of that along with one wall of storage for my lovely.

So.... I have simply run out of room. The sheet is nailed with roof tacks to one of the two outer garage doors temporarily. The shoot area is a vacant area in front of that door I use to roll my rear shop machines to by the cyclone when I need them. It's about the only place I have left to shoot other than my elevated rear deck. I use three lamp stands to the side with 5500 photo lights to get white light. When done I take it down.

Thanks Loring.. about all my furniture is custom tailored at this point to fit personal needs.. given space.. etc. I have to throw in some extra as my wife lost part of her ham-string nerves from atrophy 12 years ago at age 39 when she lay in a coma on a respirator for 52 days in ICU then another 30 days pretty much motion-less in a normal hospital bed. She has trouble getting out of chairs and bending with the partial nerve loss in her legs so that has to come into play when I design for her also. That is a personal challenge for me and explains a few design elements that most would question as why?

Regards to all...

Comment

Working...