• Show
Clear All
  • enorwood
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Wenatchee, WA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

A flag/award case for Sgt. Earl

Our son, Earl K., who is making a career in the U.S. Air Force, was recently promoted to Tech Sgt., and needless to say, I'm very proud of him. I have been looking for an interesting design for a flag/award case that will house his retirement flag in a few years as well as ribbons, medals, and challenge coins he has or will receive. I ran across one several months ago. Having done a lot of projects having straight lines and square corners over the years, I thought it might be interesting to tackle some curves and more complex angles. This piece REALLY provided that challenge, and, in fact, I nearly dropped the idea several times during the project. It didn't really seem appropriate though to give up and buy one, so I stayed at it. Finished this week, my wife and I will deliver it to him in Atlanta.

The case is solid cherry. The design as adapted features a door in the shape of an Air Force enlisted chevron. Five segments are joined as a face-frame using double biscuits. It is mounted using a 20" piano hinge. One magnet catch holds the door closed.

The main case is basically a rectangular frame box (through-cut dovetails) with triangular sections added to the top and bottom. The main display panel is cork bulletin-board material laminated to plywood and covered with blue felt. This makes it possible to "tack" or use velcro for display of items. There are 2 grooved shelves for coins and medallions and an additional space at the bottom for a small cup, etc. Overall size is 35" X 19"; depth 3.75".

The finish is several coats of tung oil and a coat of Johnson's paste wax. It mounts to the wall using a French cleat.

Needless to say, this was a labor of love and pride. I'd be interested in any comments, criticisms, etc. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by enorwood; 03-12-2010, 01:20 PM.
    -Earl
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

That's very sharp, the curves really do set it apart.

How did you do the curved glass for the door?
    Erik

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Outstanding build and design. You did a nice job handling those miters with angles involved. Again the design is outstanding so credit to you or whomever dreamed that one up. Nice choice of wood and finish as the grain popped well on the door. Your son should be extremely proud of the old man on this one as that was a labor of love and especially since you had not worked with rad angles before.

Comment

• enorwood
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Wenatchee, WA, USA.
        • Craftsman 22124

How did you do the curved glass for the door?[/QUOTE]

I made a pattern and took it to our local glass shop. They cut and installed it for me.
        -Earl

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

A very nice job, and worthy of the purpose.

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

That is a gift that is sure to be treasured; nice job!
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I want to comment again on this piece Earl. You posted it two days ago and there have been only 4 people comment with the post moving to second page and fading. The piece is well designed and well executed as I mentioned. Even a simple design requires a lot of effort and thought to produce withy those curves and the angles that adjoin the pieces. You picked up valuable experience on tackling this piece that will serve you well latter.

I cannot say why there weren't more "pats on the back" as the piece deserved better but... that is the way the cookie crumbles I suppose. Probably a sign of the times as giving credit where credit is due and encouragement to proceed to even higher heights was once a common trait!

Again.. well done and looking forward to the next piece up...

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

WOW! That is sharp! Very nice work that will really be appreciated. You have more than one thing to be proud of.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

i'll admit i passed over this the first time as I though maybe it was just another triangular flag box.

Its quite nice, the external door having complex curves, nice grain, overall uniqueness. Great work!
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I didn't see this until today and have to admit, I do not think Sarge's bump was necessary, the work speaks for itself! I love the design The chevron was very creative and I can only imagine what your son will say when he receives it. I think he will be quite proud of his old man. Kudos to you sir, well deserved. I am sure that more folks will view this piece.
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• nadz
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Rocket City, AL, USA.

nice work, that piece will live a long time
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------
                      Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

That looks spectacular. The door looks like it would have been especially challenging. Beyond my abilities at this point.

Nice work!

Comment

• enorwood
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Wenatchee, WA, USA.
                          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                          I want to comment again on this piece Earl. You posted it two days ago and there have been only 4 people comment with the post moving to second page and fading. The piece is well designed and well executed as I mentioned. Even a simple design requires a lot of effort and thought to produce withy those curves and the angles that adjoin the pieces. You picked up valuable experience on tackling this piece that will serve you well latter.

I cannot say why there weren't more "pats on the back" as the piece deserved better but... that is the way the cookie crumbles I suppose. Probably a sign of the times as giving credit where credit is due and encouragement to proceed to even higher heights was once a common trait!

Again.. well done and looking forward to the next piece up...
                          Sarge-

Many thanks for the "bump" and for the kind words. I've been a member of the forum since 2002 and, although I am not a professional woodworker, I have posted a number of pieces over the years. Questions and observations by other participants always provide an extra challenge to improve, and it has been great to see what others are doing and to learn from the many skilled craftsmen who have shared their work here. I've learned a lot. It's somewhat disappointing that so few finished projects are shown these days. (I sometimes wonder if we are becoming a community of tool collectors and I'm certainly into that, as well.)

You are quite perceptive about the angles and curves in this piece. Clamping the sections of the door was a real challenge as was cutting and clamping the steep angles of the case. The "struggle" I noted in the original post was over how to solve these issues. In many ways, it has been the most difficult project I have have done to date.
                          -Earl

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Buena Park, CA
                            • CM 21829

Earl,
                            I've been hit'n'miss here of late, so just seeing this first time today - glad its been bumped. Love the grain you chose in that cherry, and the finish is outstanding. One question - in this design, what is the purpose of the small space near the bottom?
                            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• enorwood
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Wenatchee, WA, USA.
                              • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                              Earl,
                              I've been hit'n'miss here of late, so just seeing this first time today - glad its been bumped. Love the grain you chose in that cherry, and the finish is outstanding. One question - in this design, what is the purpose of the small space near the bottom?
                              Bill-

Great question! The bottom triangle functions primarily to support the curve of the bottom of the door. This curve is an important feature of the Air Force chevron. The bottom wedge provides a flat surface on which to place a small cup, etc., and it, along with the two wedges at the sides of this space strengthens the total glue joint of the bottom of the case. The shelf above is shaped to allow more height if needed. Thanks for the comment.
                              -Earl

Comment

Working...