• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Love it. I like the proportions. I like the grain (no radially cut veneers). I like the finish. Superb work, Sarge.

So what's next?

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks Gary... the plan is just a mental visualization and then notes scribbled on a note-pad. You have to keep a very clear mind that allows you to see final dimentions including adding for tenon lenght on both end of runners... etc. etc.. And you have to think clearly through to the end to un-cover any hidden or obvious obstacles you will en-counter.

I could post pictures of the plans as they were drawn out on note-pads in phases of base desk.. top.. hutch but it would appear to be the work of a bored kinder-garten student doodling to pass the time away. I can cut the line on a ceiling meeting a wall all the way around a room painting with a small pail of paint in one hand and a 2 1/2" sash brush in the other... standing on top of a 3 step ladder without getting a drop of paint intened for wall on ceiling but.... I can't draw a straight line on a sheet of paper. Go figure... ?

Thanks C.G... I spent much time orienting grain.. deciding how to make lines flow and keeping proportion working with the obstacle that certain electrical components had to go in Spot X and Z.. in this case I came about as close as a country boy is going to come IMO. I suppose even an old blind squirrel gets an acorn ever once in awhile.

What's next was taking the summer months off as mentioned until my wife suggested she needed a book-case in the spot vacated by the old computer desk. This morning the book-case grew into a small base (closed cabinet or open not decided at this point) with a book case on top. I'm sure by this evening the carcass will grow larger to include a Flight Control Tower on top of the book-case.

Women see a pile of wood in "your" shop. They then see a finished product in "their" house with no regard for what happens to the pile of wood between those two points. The general thinking is.... "I want this.... Just do it" and if you are married, you know exactly what I refer too. ha.. ha...
      Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2009, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• John Hunter
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
        • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice!
        John Hunter

Comment

• shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

Very Cool
          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks John.... thanks Mike. I'm resting.. until Monday anyway..

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

Holy Moly that is beautiful ....

Very Very Very nice!!!
              "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas
              => Bade's Personal Web Log
              => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks Bade.. this one took a few months to wade through..

Regards...

Comment

• Salty
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Akron, Ohio

Looks great Sarge. I also like building on the fly and did that on my puter desk.
                  I also wanted to tell you that if you decided not to use this as a desk, it looks to be an easy retrofit to a pipe organ.....it's hugh!! ;-)

Salty
                  Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Sarge, it looks great! It is an unusual and interesting piece. A one of a kind for sure and in a good way. Great work as usual!
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks Salty and Chop...

Salty... not quite gonna make it on those large pipe organs in size. They have one at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta and I have always been fascinated with the 3 other large one's I have seen. The picture probably makes it look larger as it it basically 63" wide and about 66" tall so.. not to large but not to small. I can tell you it weighs over 150 pds. as it has about 150 bd. ft. of lumber in it total.

Chop... it turned out interesting IMO also. I can't think of any piece I have done in 38 years I felt I wouldn't have made a change on after it was complete. A little something here.. a little something there. But... on this one I cannot find a thing I would change as I thought through almost every component of this before I cut and nailed. And I am very proud that it is one of a kind.

Thanks guys...

Comment

Working...