• Show
Clear All
  • richtw
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2008
    • New Jersey
    • bt3100

a herd of chairs

I picked up a use bt3100 over the winter and just finished my first project(s) with it.

We needed porch chairs, so I decided I would make some. I could not choose between the New Yankee Workshop version of the Adirondack chairs, or the Jakes' Chairs from the internet. So I made 2 of the NYW chairs and so far finished one Jake Chair.

They're going to end up painted, but I had to dissemble them and transport them to our place before gluing them up, so this is how they looked before I took them apart.

The saw was great, both for ripping and crosscutting. It was not as noisy as some comments had lead me to beleive.

Now back to the basement so I can make the last one!
    Attached Files
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Good looking set. What kind of wood did you use?

Which one did you find better to build or more comfortable to sit in, Norm's or Jake's chair? Norm's chair seems to sit lower
    and the distance between the arm and seat seems to be less. I would think it's more comfy. It's also more appealing to my
    eye.
    Last edited by atgcpaul; 06-24-2009, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Nice build. I don't know which is more comfortable but I do like the arm-rest on the two outer chairs better for whatever reason.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

they both look nice, but I think one is a papa-bear chair and the other two are momma-bear and baby-bear chairs.

Goldilocks
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Nice - all three look good! Good idea going for multiples at the same time.

My very first ww project was a norm's chair, 3 years ago. My wife finds it the most comfortable chair she's ever encountered, and I agree: I have been able to sit and read a complete novel (around 3 hours) on it without problems!

Now she wants me to do a 'double' of the same design : ie, a two seater, that she wants to put indoors, in our 'study' room.
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Both look great - nice designs. I can't tell if the wood is painted, or is just a light colored wood. How are they finished?
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• richtw
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2008
              • New Jersey
              • bt3100

thanks for the comments

Since they were the first "cuts" with the saw I took the easy way out and used #2 pine for all of them. For the 2 Norm chairs I just got the wood at the home depot. The Jake chair called for 1x10's. the supply at Depot was gnarly, so I went to a local lumber yard, but I did not get to pick through what they had, so that wood was pretty much equivalent to the Depot.

Since I had to disassemble them and drive them to the final destination, they were not yet finished at the time I took the picures, so that's just the nekkid pine! Evenutally they will be primed and painted white.

Norm's version was a little easier to build. Even though it called for one compound cut on on the bandsaw, overall the parts were designed to fit stock lumber. which made it go quickly. There was a lot more pieces and a lot more ripping with the Jake chair. The final bit of assembly on the back was annoying.

So far it seems women folk favor norms version while the guys favor jake.

I think the Norm chair is incredibly comfy. The Jake chair is a bit oversized and when you first sit in it, it seems to be forcing good posture. But within a minute it seems fine. It's definately big enough that you could use cushions, and my brother thinks we need to carve beer holders into the oversized arms.

I would say I am leaning 60/40 to the Norm version. We've had discussions on how many more to make, and there has not been a clear consensus one way or the other.

Guess it's a good sign that both were successful!!

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

Very nice looking chairs! Be careful, or you'll have a lot of orders to complete.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • IL, USA.
                  • DELTA 36-675

Nicely done, bud!! Thank you for sharing!
                  Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• drillman88
                    • Dec 2007
                    • Southeast
                    • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Nice work!!!
                    I have made several of the Jakes chairs that I scaled down in width and arm height. The original is made for really large people. They are very comfortable and easy for people with limited mobility to use. My mom has trouble with her legs and hips and she loves hers.
                    I like the look of NYW chair but haven't built any yet, but I like the design.
                    I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• lrogers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mobile, AL. USA.
                      • BT3000

Now why didn't the picture show you relaxing and enjoying all your hard work? You did a nice job, now take time to enjoy!!!!
                      Larry R. Rogers
                      The Samurai Wood Butcher
                      http://splash54.multiply.com
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• richtw
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Sep 2008
                        • New Jersey
                        • bt3100

finished the last one

had one more chair to go before I could paint and relax. got it done yesterday.

the lesson I learned doing this one was working outside in the hot hot sun can slow your progress to a crawl!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...