• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woody
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • USA.

Originally posted by FL Buckeye
    Thanks for the insight. I do wish there were better codes and also zoning. But people here take their "rights" seriously and try to stop anything that controls their home, land or guns. So the Good O' Boys that want to stay in office don't allow much change. I think the only permits/inspections required in this county is for electrical and plumbing. My "codes" are higher than what is allowed here.

The following is from a newspaper dated June 10, 2009: A vote on Gov. Phil Bredesen's proposal to impose a minimum residential building code around the state has been delayed in the House.

The delay came despite public pronouncements of support from the Home Builders Association of Tennessee and the Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance.

Several lawmakers representing about 60 counties that have no building codes have tried to exempt their districts from the bill.

Also I read that "Tennessee's codes apply as a mandatory minimum to all buildings except one and two family dwellings and licensed health-care facilities, except as otherwise indicated."

Sorry to steal your thread Woody. Did you have to get permits, have inspections, install your posts/deck to any code?
    Yes, I did have to get permits and inspections. They were helpful and gave me suggestions. Code here is if it is tied to the house that you have to have footings 8" wide, 2 ft deep with 6" gravel under that. No floating decks if it is tied to the house. I looked at that option.

I did like using the Simpson Strong Tie footings. If you call the building department around here, they will tell you that need a permit for everything.
    Michael
    Central Virginia

"Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in boat and drink beer all day."

Comment

Working...