• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woody
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • USA.

Deck Replacement & Expansion Project

I've been working over the past month expanding our deck around our screened in porch. We really enjoyed the project and learned a lot. It's a low level deck with presented some challenges but I glad with stuck with the deck idea instead of doing some kind of hard scape pavers. We still might do some pavers at a later date.
    Attached Files
    Michael
    Central Virginia

"Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in boat and drink beer all day."
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Looks good, Woody. I hope the small free standing deck I need to build turns out half as nice.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• bfrikken
      • Apr 2005
      • Michigan, USA.
      • BT-3100

wow, that does look really nice.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Very nice indeed. I like the attention to detail with rounding off the corners of the decking. I also like the orientation of the boards.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Nice job and looks great, Woody. I added one not quite that large off the back of my existing one. It's about 10' off the ground and working as a one man show.. a major PITA. I had to invent ways to hold things in place to attach. My wife suggested asking my BIL to help me but my usual stubborn answer was... H*ll no... I'd rather do it myself.

BTW... If she hadn't suggested it... I had intended to ask my BIL to help.

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

Wow, that's nice and it looks solid as rock.
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Woody
              Established Member
              • May 2003
              • USA.

Thanks

Thanks guys - now to get some furniture for it!
              Michael
              Central Virginia

"Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in boat and drink beer all day."

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

Wow

That looks great!

Bill
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

Looks very good!
                  John Hunter

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by Woody
                    now to MAKE some furniture for it!
                    Fixed it for you.

Nice deck. It really completes that screened room nicely. Fire up the BBQ!

JR
                    JR

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                      • BT3100

sweet deck! look real nice.

Comment

• FL Buckeye
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
                        • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

Good lookin' deck, Woody. Nice thing about a low deck like that is that you don't have to put up railing. I am getting ready to put one up if the rainy season ever gives me a week of dry weather. I am debating putting the posts in the ground or using the Simpson Strong-Tie supports like what it looks like you did. Last fall I tore out a deck that had been up since 2002 with the posts in the ground. I was surprised that the wood still looked as good as new. There is no building code here so I can do it either way. Enjoy your deck this summer!
                        Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by FL Buckeye
                          There is no building code here so I can do it either way.
                          Be careful with that assumption. Most states have adopted a version of the IBC. Where local jurisdictions haven't adopted a code the state law usually applies. Just because there is no enforcement (inspections, permits etc) doesn't mean it doesn't apply. I have to remind clients and builders that are doing their thing out there in BFE of that often.

Just an FYI, I try know the code and the law, but it's not religion.

I saw this in a quick search: http://www.mtas.tennessee.edu/Knowle...256DC60067E6DA
                          Erik

Comment

• FL Buckeye
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2005
                            • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
                            • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by pelligrini
                            Be careful with that assumption. Most states have adopted a version of the IBC. Where local jurisdictions haven't adopted a code the state law usually applies. Just because there is no enforcement (inspections, permits etc) doesn't mean it doesn't apply. I have to remind clients and builders that are doing their thing out there in BFE of that often.
                            [/url]
                            Thanks for the insight. I do wish there were better codes and also zoning. But people here take their "rights" seriously and try to stop anything that controls their home, land or guns. So the Good O' Boys that want to stay in office don't allow much change. I think the only permits/inspections required in this county is for electrical and plumbing. My "codes" are higher than what is allowed here.

The following is from a newspaper dated June 10, 2009: A vote on Gov. Phil Bredesen's proposal to impose a minimum residential building code around the state has been delayed in the House.

The delay came despite public pronouncements of support from the Home Builders Association of Tennessee and the Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance.

Several lawmakers representing about 60 counties that have no building codes have tried to exempt their districts from the bill.

Also I read that "Tennessee's codes apply as a mandatory minimum to all buildings except one and two family dwellings and licensed health-care facilities, except as otherwise indicated."

Sorry to steal your thread Woody. Did you have to get permits, have inspections, install your posts/deck to any code?
                            Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I have an old deck behind my house, was there when I bought it in 2002, and from what I can tell has been there since the early 90s, a low level job that I find to be a PITA... Not that I hate decks, but mine is set up BADLY... Posts in the ground, no concrete etc...

Part of my workshop build is going to be either a matching level deck between the house and shed, or paver hardscape...

You gave me a LOT to consider.
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...