• Show
Clear All
  • catta12
    Established Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Reno, NV
    • BTS20R

Transforming Tool Stand

It's no Optimus Prime, but it does keep my benchtop planer off the floor or other valuable workspace.

Construction is 1 1/2s x 3 1/2s (ok, 2x4s), some leftover plywood from another project, 2 fixed casters, 2 double locking swivel casters, 8 spring loaded latches, glue, screws, staples, sweat, and several cuss words.

The goal was to have a mobile stand for my planer that would also accommodate another benchtop item as well. My current plan is to put a Ridgid OSS on the other “top”.

The planer is much easier to move around now. All I have to do is lift or lower and then slide the plywood sheet on the side rails and fasten it into place. The spring loaded latches make sure that the top isn’t going anywhere.

This certainly isn’t better than having a full sized planner stand, but is nice for limited space. I am also considering making a down draft table top. One downside is that the latches are in the wrong place to have a table like work area that is unobstructed. This wasn’t an issue for the original design since it was going to be all power tool stand.

Let me know what you think. I have it in Sketchup as well, but most of you that would want to build one can probably wing it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ts1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	793730 Click image for larger version

Name:	ts2.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	793731 Click image for larger version

Name:	ts3.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	793732
    If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

That's pretty cool; a neat use of space. With that standard bench tool base you could make a rack to stack a bunch of bench tools and just swap 'em out.

I hope that Rigid is a lot lighter then my Dewalt DW735. I made a flip top cabinet for it because carrying it around got old really fast. I intended to make a rack to store my other bench tools (Scroll saw, grinder etc.) and use the cart as the base. Haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Erik

Comment

• thestinker
      • Oct 2005
      • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Very cool. I like being able to use a stand or bench for more than one dedicated use. Makes me feel like I am getting more for my money and can justify the expense more.

Riley
      Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• shoottx
        Veteran Member
        • May 2008
        • Plano, Texas
        • BT3000

Very Cool
        Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• catta12
          Established Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Reno, NV
          • BTS20R

Originally posted by pelligrini
          That's pretty cool; a neat use of space. With that standard bench tool base you could make a rack to stack a bunch of bench tools and just swap 'em out.

I hope that Rigid is a lot lighter then my Dewalt DW735. I made a flip top cabinet for it because carrying it around got old really fast. I intended to make a rack to store my other bench tools (Scroll saw, grinder etc.) and use the cart as the base. Haven't gotten around to it yet.
          The Rigid is lighter than the DW735, but still around 70lbs. I don't plan on moving it very often and I really wanted double duty storage or I would have made a flip top like you did (very nice btw). I figure by the time this planer and stand wear out I might have room and $$$ for a larger setup.

Alan

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

I llike it! I like the half-lap construction. I like the versatility.

I don't like lifting my Ridgid planer. Ouch.

BTW - your bike doesn't seem to know if it's coming or going!

JR
            JR

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

That's not only functional, but good looking. Nice job.

I do have a question. I also have the DeWalt 735, and it seems that if I had it permanently attached to the moveable piece of ply, it would be a little harder to move than just moving the planer itself. Is there an advantage that I'm not seeing to having the ply moveable instead of fixed? I understand that the planer is attached to the ply so it doesn't move, but you could just clamp it or put blocks on the sides to keep it from moving.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• catta12
                Established Member
                • Jan 2008
                • Reno, NV
                • BTS20R

Unattached, I found the planer awkward to get pushed into the middle or jockey it around with the no slip pads on the bottom.

The benefit of the attached ply is that it slides in and out on rails and of course always puts the planer in the middle of the stand. The only time I really do any work is the up and down motion, the weight during the in and out is on the rails.

The ply also gives a wider base to grip on than the planer by itself. It is a bit easier to lug it around with a shoulder width grip rather than with a towed in grip on the planer only.

Alan

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

O.K. Thanks for the quick reply. It makes sense.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I am looking for mutil tool mounting options to keep my Ryobi AP1301, Sunhill SM-150B, Ridgid EB4424, B&D FS1000L, and Ryobi BGH616 in the smallest space possible.

Most of those tools are pretty manageable, but that planer, which is a good chunk lighter than that Ridgid you show... seems like a handful to move in and out... My Biggest problem is getting a good grip on the thing... Just wondering if you thought of maybe adding handles to the plywood. Would that help with this, or is it needed even?
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• catta12
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2008
                      • Reno, NV
                      • BTS20R

Originally posted by dbhost
                      I am looking for mutil tool mounting options to keep my Ryobi AP1301, Sunhill SM-150B, Ridgid EB4424, B&D FS1000L, and Ryobi BGH616 in the smallest space possible.

Most of those tools are pretty manageable, but that planer, which is a good chunk lighter than that Ridgid you show... seems like a handful to move in and out... My Biggest problem is getting a good grip on the thing... Just wondering if you thought of maybe adding handles to the plywood. Would that help with this, or is it needed even?
                      I hadn't thought about putting handles on the plywood. How I move it (looking at the 1st picture) is by grabbing the upper right handle built into the top of the planer and the middle of the left side of the plywood. This gives a good balanced grip and it is easier to control than by putting both hands on the plywood or both on the built in handles.

I won't lie to you, lifting 70+ lbs any way is still 70+ lbs of work. It is made easier that the plywood slides in and out on the rails and then the whole stand can be moved. FYI the AP1301 is around 55 lbs according to HD online.

I figured that I was going to have to move the planer around anyway, so I might as well have a pre-designed landing spot for it that had better mobility and would do double duty for another benchtop tool.

Alan

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

That weight pretty close to matches Ryobi's claim of 53LBs (close enough)...

Unfortunately handles were not something Ryobi designed into the AP1301...
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• lrogers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mobile, AL. USA.
                          • BT3000

That really looks solid; nice job.
                          Larry R. Rogers
                          The Samurai Wood Butcher
                          http://splash54.multiply.com
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• poolhound
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Phoenix, AZ
                            • BT3100

Nice job Alan and very functional. I have the older style ridgid planer and got real tired of moving and lifting it and built this flip top base.

DB - you could build something like this with multiple shelves or a flip top and get two tools, one attached to each side.
                            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                            techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
                              Nice job Alan and very functional. I have the older style ridgid planer and got real tired of moving and lifting it and built this flip top base.

DB - you could build something like this with multiple shelves or a flip top and get two tools, one attached to each side.
                              Not a bad thought, but I was hoping to get more use out of the floor space than even a flip top stand would afford...

Comment

Working...