• Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Originally posted by steve_ma
    Well I haven't sat in it for long, but so far so good.
    Glad to hear that

Originally posted by Pappy
    I would like to have Adirondack chairs, too, but the wife can't bet in and out of them. They are suprisingly comfortable but can be hard to get up from.
    Pappy, you have seen the lift chairs? Usually a recliner thing that with the push of a button whines a bit and lifts up and ejects the occupant. Perhaps a mechanism like that for the Adirondack chair, could be water powered, could get you a guest appearance on a DIY channel show show.

Bill,

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Those are the nicest Addys that I've ever seen. What kind of epoxy did you use? Was it the relatively clear product? Where did you apply it - I'm confused about that (nothing new there).
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• steve_ma
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2005

Its just generic epoxy. You have to thicken it or it will drip, there are many things you can use to thicken it but I use wood flour. I wouldn't know about any of this if I hadn't built a boat. You put it in the same places you would put glue. Its not clear...but it is "wood color" caused by the wood flour (basically, finely ground sawdust). Epoxy is a good gap filler to - you could use contruction adhesive, or something like 3M 5200 which is how Norm did it. 3M 5200 and SS screws. His design calls for like $30 in hardware! 4 screws per seat slat, 4 screws per back slat. 10 carriage bolts.

My approach has its downsides. I wasnt paying attention and glued/nailed the back slats wrong. I had to pull them off, pull the brad, epoxy on the pliers, smeared around...arghh. On another joint, brad popped out the side. Using screws has its adv!

Comment

• messmaker
          Veteran Member
          • May 2004
          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
          • Ridgid 2424

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
          I have always thought that Norm's chair didn't look very comfortable. Never having sat in one it's only from pictures that I have drawn this conclusion. So the question today is: Is the chair comfortable to sit in, of does it just look good?

You did a really nice job on the chair so I do hope you get a lot of use out of it.

Bill
          I have made a dozen or so. They really are comfortable and sturdy. They can be a challenge to get out of, especially if you are using the footstool.
          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Woodshark
            Established Member
            • May 2006
            • Atlanta

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
            So the question today is: Is the chair comfortable to sit in, of does it just look good?

Bill
            Oh, they are very comfortable.
            I've built four for our lake house. Started out with two, but when we had company, they were the first chairs to get occupied. I had to build two more just to have a shot at getting to use one.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Woodshark; 04-15-2009, 12:37 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...