X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Garasaki
    • Sep 2006

Wedding Present - blistered maple and walnut

Hi all, Been a while - I've been working hard finishing my basement the last year and the TS and other woodworking tools have been buried. However a few weeks ago an opportunity to create some sawdust came up.

My wife came up with the concept of making this "name plaque" for some friends where were getting married. I came up with a specific design, after some advice from the Bride's BF that it be "modern, dark, and be able to be hung on the wall or set on a table or something"

I decided I wanted to use some figured maple, and make it a very clean, simple design that showed off the wood without a lot of embellishment.

Construction was very easy - I had pieces of walnut sitting about, and got ahold of a nice piece of blistered maple, that were S3S. So I had to rip one side, and cut to length. Used the BT3 to create a trough in the walnut. Got the roundover bits out and went to town. Then stained the maple with transtint (3 or 4 applications with sanding in between). Then assembled, glued, and finished with hand rubbed shellac. Total shop time, probably an hour and a half construction, and a similar amount finishing/staining.

Was pretty happy with the finished product.

-John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
    -Henry Blake
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Nice, clean, simple. Very nice little keepsake for the couple...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Sweet! Did you do the lettering by hand?

JR
      JR

Comment

• Garasaki
        • Sep 2006

I should have explained the lettering in my first post.

It's a product from a company called "Uppercase Living" - it's basically a sticker. They sell stuff at "parties" sort of like "partylite" candles or whatever (cult gatherings in other words). My wife is way into them for some reason...

They look really nice and ... well I wouldn't say they are EASY to apply because they take a fair bit of time, but they are straightfoward to apply and also come off easily without removing finish/paint on walls.
        -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
        -Henry Blake

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Very well done, I love the simplicity.

Great. Yet another party product that I never heard of. As soon as LOML hears of it, she'll schedule one. It will have to wait after the Tastefully Simple, Partylite, Premier Jewelry and I think there may be a Mary Kay thrown in there to somewhere...

Speaking of these parties, why are there no woodworking tool parties? I would host one to get 20% off my order...
          Joe

Comment

• Garasaki
            • Sep 2006

personally I love it when my wife hosts a tastefully simple party.

There's lots of good food that comes outta those!
            -John

-Henry Blake

Comment

• lrogers
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Mobile, AL. USA.
              • BT3000

That is going to make someone very HAPPY!
              Larry R. Rogers
              The Samurai Wood Butcher
              http://splash54.multiply.com
              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

Nice. That's gonna make somebody happy, for sure.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Great keepsake gift idea and that Maple is fantastic!
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

Working...