• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian G
    • Jun 2003
    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
    • G0899

Router Table

I became weary of dragging out my "quick-fab" workbench-mounted router uhhh. . . table (see this thread) each time I needed to perform a routing operation. That table worked well, but it was only supposed to be used "until I build a real one." So I finally did build a real one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RTFront.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	793406

It's loosely modeled after the version in Bill Hylton's Woodworking with the Router, but with some modifications.
    • The top is Rockler's discontinued model designed for the Oiginal Incra Jig. That's why the fence runs front-to-back instead of side-to-side. I received a steep discount for the table top, which I couldn't pass up. At some point, I'll figure out a modification to the fence so that I can use it side-to-side.
    • Overall height is 37" (fits my working height), width of the cabinet is 26", and depth of cabinet is 17". I wanted enough overhang to accomodate any clamping, and to keep dust and chips from falling into the interior through the slots for the fence.
    • The carcase is from one of the last remaining sheets of China birch ply I will ever buy. The drawer trim is cherry, and the drawer faces are run-of-the-mill birch ply (made in the U.S.A) that surprised me with chatoyance.
    • I used Woodcraft's dual locking casters that I bought on sale. Come to think of it. . . everything that went into this table was bought on sale at some point.
    • The power switch is from Rockler.

The following view shows how I attach the Incra Jig for safe keeping when I will be using the standard fence. I used t-nuts, threaded rod, and quick-release knobs. You get a glimpse of the DC piping to the right.

Name:	RTSide.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	793407

Below is a better view of the DC piping. I used a dust hood attached to the cabinet, two 22.5° elbows, a 2.5" x 4" wye, some flex hose, and small lengths of ASTM 3034 (Shed 35) sewer and drain to make the connections. The inside diameter of ASTM 3034 accomodates perfectly the outside diameter of standard 4" dust collection fittings. The flex hose allows me to disconnect the piping when I need to move the router table.

Name:	RTDC.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	793413

The following view shows the Incra Jig attached to the top. I have yet to use it, which was one of the motivations for getting this table built.

Name:	RTIncraJig.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	793408

The following gives a view of the underside of the top, with my Milwaukee 5625 attached. The router was a Christmas present. I originally had planned on mounting a different router, but along came the 5625. Thankfully, it fit, although I had to remove the handles.

Name:	RTTopUp.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	793409

The frame supporting the top is made from lyptus, as are the two props that hold up the top. The top assembly is attached from behind by using standard strap hinges. Below is a better view of the particulars.

Name:	RTTopView.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	793410

I used tool drawer liners partly for show, but also to keep the wrenches from rattling around during operaton. I also made a little tray to hold stuff. The cord is kept neatly in place by some cheap cable clamps.

As shown below, I used full extension slides for the drawers. I have decided that, except for any slides I have on hand, any drawers I make from now on are going to have full extension slides. The extra expense is offset by not having to root around in the nether regions of the drawer.

Name:	RTDrawers.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	793411

Drawer construction was simple rabbets, 1/2" utility ply sides, 1/4" MDF bottoms in grooves. I used a magnetic touch latch to hold the access door closed. The top two smaller drawers on the right are for 1/4" and 1/2" shank bits. The middle drawers hold fixtures, feather boards, push blocks, and other items. The bottom drawer is large enough to hold my Ryobi router bases, plus my Dremel and its accessories.

Below is an up-close of my 1/2" shank bit drawer. I used a label maker and clear label tape to identify what bit goes where. I wanted to be able to know at a glance which was, for example, the 1/8" roundover versus the 3/16" roundover bit. If I need to, I can "steal" the middle-right drawer to accomodate more bits.

Name:	RTBitDrawer.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	793412

Finally, here is a view of the shelving above the router table. If you squint real hard, you'll notice some t-slots routed into the bottom. I use those to store the standard fence. The t-bolts that attach the fence to the table simply slide in. I'll probably add something between the shelving and the table for additional storage. I could use that for feather boards, clamps, and the like instead of having it in one of the drawers.

Name:	RTFullView.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	793414

Thanks for looking.
    Brian
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Wow, Brian, that is an excellent addition to a fine looking shop.

Well done.

JR
    JR

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

That looks really nice. But I have to ask, why did you not just rotate the table 90 deg, so the fence did run side to side? Now that the cabinet is built how about just working from the side?

Bill
      Last edited by Mr__Bill; 02-16-2009, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

That's a nice piece of craftsmanship. Makes me think I should build a proper router table instead of using the accessory table on my BT3100.

A couple of questions about your dust collection system if you don't mind. Have you used plastic pipe for the entire trunk system? If so, where did you get it - plumbing supply or big box? Any concerns about using plastic instead of metal? Which DC are you using?

Comment

• shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

Very Cool

A beautiful piece of furniture with spectacular shop function!
          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Kudos on the Kabinet, Brian and nice review piece that you wrote. I'm pretty envious that you even have room in your shop for a dedicated cabinet.
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• steve-norrell
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • The Great Land - Alaska
              • BT3100-1

Brian,

That is a beautiful router table. However, the lack of dust in the shop makes me wonder! But then, maybe you are in cahoots with Rod Kirby.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and I am also jealous of all that space.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

A beautiful piece of furniture, Brian. I like the Mercedes "gull-wing" top and love that panic stop paddle. Storage galore and a nice finish. Your wife should be happy with it in your bedroom. Now.. go build a router table son.

Just kidding ya.. extremely well dond and very cleverly laid out. Keep up the excellent work. And if ya build your wife something as nice.. ya done good and will be annoited with kudo's.

Comment

• ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

Man, you gotta send a picture of that to one of the WW magazines. That is beautiful. Heck I couldn't bear to get it dirty if it were mine.
                  RAGS
                  Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                  sigpic

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

very nice design, execution and looks.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Nice job with some cool design features.
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• lrogers
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Mobile, AL. USA.
                        • BT3000

That is awesome, Brian! Functional AND beautiful, it doesn't get any better than that.
                        Larry R. Rogers
                        The Samurai Wood Butcher
                        http://splash54.multiply.com
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

My friend, that is a well labored over router table! Nice work!
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Tom Miller
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2003
                            • Twin Cities, MN
                            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Wow, how do you get anything done in the shop now?! I'd just be rubbin' those drawer fronts and making gurgling sounds....

That looks insanely functional, too. And, I know what you mean about full extension drawers -- might as well just make less drawer otherwise.

Regards,
                            Tom

Comment

• spagington
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Apr 2006

Great table. Very nice. I'm designing a table right now, so I may steal some of your features!

Comment

Working...