• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Not pretty, but shop projects.

A long drive and a GREAT visit with a fellow BT3Central member resulted in me coming home with a new to me BT3100. I have spent much of today cleaning, adjusting, and changing things on it up to where I like it, and honestly, giving the new saw a whirl on some shop projects I have been putting off...

The original owner had relocated the switch to the left of the SMT on the front rail. I loved this idea, but was not crazy about the Masonite mounting plate. I had some Simpson Strong Tie Tees laying around, so I modified one of them to act as a mount. It's very solid now, with no wiggle at all. I do still need to dig out some split loom and get the wires under control though...

I built a stacker for the Thien cyclone rig, and while I still need to cut the hose from the piping to the cyclone down shorter, it works fantastically!

And lastly, at least so far, is the notching the front rail of the bench to get my woodworkers vise up to where the top edge of the vise is just a shave below the top edge of the workbench.

All in all, a reasonably productive morning, considering I slept in and enjoyed my day off!

And believe it or not. I AM trying to clean this place up!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

A good day's work... Congrats on the new BT. You're going to be amazed by the things you'll do with that little bugger...

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

DB,

Thanks for the post on the switch. I'm going to look at mine over the long weekend to decide if I want to swap mine. I happen to have one of those tee's stuck in a drawer myself.

Good score, I know you'll enjoy the new (to you) saw.
      - Chris.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Smart move, DB. The position of the On-Off switch was one of the few flaws by the designer on that saw I noticed when I had one.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by docrowan
          DB,

Thanks for the post on the switch. I'm going to look at mine over the long weekend to decide if I want to swap mine. I happen to have one of those tee's stuck in a drawer myself.

Good score, I know you'll enjoy the new (to you) saw.
          There's some 10-24 tee nuts in the slot on the back of the rail holding the tee strap on. I took up the extra space for the screw with some washers from my parts bins. This thing is TIGHT in with no wiggle... I really like the setup. The prior owner ran the wiring exposed which is okay, but not idea. I have some 3/8 blue split loom from a gaming PC project I did a few years ago (I used to build custom Linux PCs in years past). I want to enclose the wiring and attach some sort of close off plate for where the wiring comes out of the housing...

I think I want to cut some 45 degree braces for the corners of the stacker, and set it on the wheels from my soon to be decommissioned router table cart. The lumber for that stacker is reclaimed 2x4s and plywood that was blown onto my property by Hurricane Ike... Gotta get something useful from that blowhard right?
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

Projects for the shop are some of my favorates!
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Uncle Hook
              Established Member
              • Apr 2005
              • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Congrats on your new machine. Welcome to the list of satisfied owners of a BT3.

Comment

Working...